Remove Linux--Restore original setiings?

Remove Linux--Restore original setiings?

Post by Joseph_Leicht » Mon, 10 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I'd like to remove Redhat linux and restore the original
configuration to my machine (at least until I  feel more comfortable
with this stuff!). I've been getting loads of "illegal operation" messages
from win 95, and I need that OS up and running. I've checked all the How
-to's and FAQs I can think of
but none (that I've found) can tell me what to do--thanks in advance for any
help.
Here's the deal:

        Did I do everything the FIPS doc asked? Well, sort of..(uh oh).i
*did* defrag, but..it mentioned removing the windows swap space, but I'm not
sure how that works on 95 (it was easy enough to mess with in 3.1), so I just
ignored that statement, hoping that FIPS would complain if something was
up---ditto with that thing about removing the IMAGE, which some Norton
utility or other makes on my machine.My HD had a C and D drive, about 2 gb
each (actually one drive with 2 partitions--the defintion of which i'm
learning by paiinful experience!). I was *planning* on using FIPS on the D
"drive", and that Norton Utlility only mentioned an IMAGE for the C, so I
didn't worry (silly me!)
        Anyway, when i ran FIPS , I got a table that said my partitions were
hda1, hda2 and <hda5>, each about 2 gb. Not knowing what to make of this
--thinking "where'd this hda5 come from?" (the first sign I should have
turned off the machine and watched Seinfeld instead), I figured hda2 *had* to
be my
 D drive. So i tried to split that. FIPS said "FIPS can't split extended
partitions yet"...so I split hda1 instead, into a 1.3 (DOS) and .7 gb (for
linux) chunks. When I rebooted, sure enough, my C was now 1.3 gb, my D still
2 gb and there was an icon in 95
for an E drive, which 95 couldn't read--success, I thought.
        I went ahead and installed redhat 4 from CD ( spent much time trying
to configure X and slip..the least of my worries now!). I used linux's fdisk
to make the extra space into  2 primary partitions--an hda3 (660mb) for linux
and an hda4 (30mb) for linux swap.When I booted via lilo into 95, my C was
still 1.3 gb, D was 2 and that E was gone.
Thne the "Illegal operation" messages started!
        How do I go about
re-partitioning and reformatting the drive to restore it original state? What
I'd like to do--for the time being--is just have 95 on the machine and run
the RedHat off the CD--at least until i get a better idea of things.( luckily
I have the 95 and redhat CDs)
        I 'm guessing ( which is what got me into trouble in the first place)
that
1)I have to go into linux and run fdisk again to remove the hda3 and hda4
partitions
2)Will I have to run "restorbb" form my FIPS disk to restore the original
partition table at this point?
If not, how to I get my partiton table back to its original state?
3)Do I have to run the 95 FDISK at this--or any other -point? I looked at it
briefly
and it says that it can only handle 2 gb partitions
4) When/how do I reformat my HD for DOs/95?
        Once the HD is my  reformattted and repartitioned into its original
state, I'll be OK  ( i hope)...I have the disks to install 95, as well as all
the other driver disks, etc...
        Thanks again for any help,
Joe Leichter

1. how to restore original package from rpm?

I use rpm installed new version of package.  In some cases I need restore
package to original version.  Does anyone know how to do it?   By the way how
can I save old version of package before I install new version of package?

Thanks.

2. Help: IDE Tape drive support.

3. cannot restore original file after attack

4. KDE login problem

5. pop3 server

6. Soalris 2.6 DCE How to Restore original settings??

7. ftp get passwd file

8. restored filesystem - comparison to original

9. help needed to restore RH to original config

10. Howt o restore original Redhat firewall setup

11. stty: Restoring original settings question.

12. cannot restore original file after attack