Does LILO use any other configuration file besides lilo.conf?

Does LILO use any other configuration file besides lilo.conf?

Post by gbeyer.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello,

My LILO doesn't read the settings I have put in it.  Is there something
else LILO is paying attention to?
Here is my /etc/lilo.conf --

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
image=/dev/hda1
        label=Win
        table=/dev/hda
other=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.35-1
 label=RH
 root=/dev/hda5
 read-only

Im Dual booting RH5.2 and Windows95.

Q1: Shouldn't this lilo.conf cause a default boot to Windows95?  It does
not, rather it insists on booting to
RH by default.

Q2: When I hit <tab> at the "boot" prompt, shouldn't I see the options
(labels) of "Win" and "RH"?  I
don't, rather I get "Windows95" and "Redhat".

I have searched my Linux partition for lilo.* and *.conf and for all
files containing "Windows95" and
Redhat.  I get hits, of course, but can't find anything that would might
be an "alternate" lilo.conf" that
LILO is reading.

Thanks for any insight!

nospams.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Hal Burgi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>My LILO doesn't read the settings I have put in it.  Is there something
>else LILO is paying attention to?  Here is my /etc/lilo.conf --

No. If there are any errors, lilo won't update though. The error
reporting is not particularly obvious. Run with '-v' option and look at
each line carefully.

Quote:>boot=/dev/hda
>map=/boot/map
>install=/boot/boot.b
>prompt
>timeout=50
>image=/dev/hda1
>        label=Win
>        table=/dev/hda
>other=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.35-1
> label=RH
> root=/dev/hda5
> read-only

'image' should be for kernel, 'other' is other OS. I think you have the
statements backwards. Switch these.

[...]

--
Hal B

--
            Linux helps those who help themselves

Post by Colin Wats » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>My LILO doesn't read the settings I have put in it.  Is there something
>else LILO is paying attention to?

In addition to what Hal Burgiss said, did you remember to run /sbin/lilo
(probably with the -v option) after you edited /etc/lilo.conf? Nothing
will change otherwise.

--

Trinity College, Cambridge, and Computer Science         [riva.ucam.org]
"Oh Danny Boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling,

Post by Villy Kru » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>>My LILO doesn't read the settings I have put in it.  Is there something
>>else LILO is paying attention to?

>In addition to what Hal Burgiss said, did you remember to run /sbin/lilo
>(probably with the -v option) after you edited /etc/lilo.conf? Nothing
>will change otherwise.

And here the explanation:

The lilo command reads the config file and stores the information into
/boot/map and stores a pointer to that file with the boot code itself
that is loaded into the boot sector.  At boot time nothing is ever
reading /etc/lilo.conf.

When you understand this you will never forget to re-run the lilo
command after anything has changed in the boot directory or the
config file.

Villy

Does LILO use any other configuration file besides lilo.conf?

Post by Gre » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Villy, Colin and Hal,

Thanks very much for your help and explanations.  I got LILO working
the way I want it to.

I went back to the LILO howto I've been poring over, looking for
Colin's tip to run lilo -v to activate changes.   Guess what....this
critical item isn't in there.

LILO -v did say I had a problem around line 8 which corresponded to
Hal's observation of having "image" and "other" out of order.  I
changed it, reran -v (verify?) no error.

So, what would be the correct way to specify the default boot OS?

Now, would either of you want to take a swing at a problem I'm having
with Samba?  From my Linux box I can list browse list and workgroup
members, but none of the share on my PDC.  Everything lists on my
BDC's and standalone servers. (using SMBCLIENT -L)  Already scoured
Deja, how-to's and posted my quandry to comp.protocols.smb, but no
solution yet.

Thanks again on LILO!

best regards,

Greg

>>>My LILO doesn't read the settings I have put in it.  Is there something
>>>else LILO is paying attention to?

>>In addition to what Hal Burgiss said, did you remember to run /sbin/lilo
>>(probably with the -v option) after you edited /etc/lilo.conf? Nothing
>>will change otherwise.

>And here the explanation:

>The lilo command reads the config file and stores the information into
>/boot/map and stores a pointer to that file with the boot code itself
>that is loaded into the boot sector.  At boot time nothing is ever
>reading /etc/lilo.conf.

>When you understand this you will never forget to re-run the lilo
>command after anything has changed in the boot directory or the
>config file.

>Villy

Does LILO use any other configuration file besides lilo.conf?

Post by Hal Burgi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On Tue, 07 Dec 1999 14:46:10 GMT, Greg

>Villy, Colin and Hal,

>Thanks very much for your help and explanations.  I got LILO working
>the way I want it to.

>I went back to the LILO howto I've been poring over, looking for
>Colin's tip to run lilo -v to activate changes.   Guess what....this
>critical item isn't in there.

>LILO -v did say I had a problem around line 8 which corresponded to
>Hal's observation of having "image" and "other" out of order.  I
>changed it, reran -v (verify?) no error.

Verbose, I think.

Quote:>So, what would be the correct way to specify the default boot OS?

Which ever one comes first is the default. 'other' can come before
'image'. 'image' is for linux kernel only.

Quote:

>Now, would either of you want to take a swing at a problem I'm having
>with Samba?  From my Linux box I can list browse list and workgroup
>members, but none of the share on my PDC.  Everything lists on my BDC's
>and standalone servers. (using SMBCLIENT -L)  Already scoured Deja,
>how-to's and posted my quandry to comp.protocols.smb, but no solution
>yet.

Not me, sorry.

--
Hal B

--
            Linux helps those who help themselves

Does LILO use any other configuration file besides lilo.conf?

Post by Villy Kru » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>So, what would be the correct way to specify the default boot OS?

From "man lilo.conf

       default=name
              Uses the specified image as the default boot image.
              If  `default' is omitted, the image appearing first
              in the configuration file is used.

Quote:>Now, would either of you want to take a swing at a problem I'm having
>with Samba?  From my Linux box I can list browse list and workgroup
>members, but none of the share on my PDC.  Everything lists on my
>BDC's and standalone servers. (using SMBCLIENT -L)  Already scoured
>Deja, how-to's and posted my quandry to comp.protocols.smb, but no
>solution yet.

You better ask this in a new thread and probably in another NG such as
comp.os.linux.networking, but the real samba experts are only reading
comp.protocols.smb so that might be a better location.

Villy

1. lilo.conf and lilo.conf~

Hi,

I wonder if anyone knows what's going on.  I've upgraded my kernel to a
newer one, and I went to change my /etc/lilo.conf file to get it to boot
into it correctly.  So far so good, the online documentation was fine.

So now I had Windows, the older kernel and the newer kernel as options.  So
far so good.

Then I decided to delete the older kernel.  I deleted any of the files that
had anything related to the older kernel from /boot.  I then changed
lilo.conf to remove the entry for the older kernel aswell.

I restart my computer and I get the exact same boot options - Windows,
Older kernel and new kernel.

After a bit of digging, I found there was a different file called
/etc/lilo.conf~ which had my old settings to boot.  So this file was
probably the one it was using to choose my boot options.  Why is that?

Also, it's weird because this old lilo.conf~ file which has the old kernel
still as an option runs fine.

image="/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-2"
        label="linux"
        read-only
        root="/dev/hda4"

When I select "linux" from Lilo, it boots into Linux fine, even there is no
"/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-1", (not even a hidden file of that name).

Here's a copy of linux.conf~ file in all its entirity:

boot="/dev/hda"
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout="50"
message=/boot/message
lba32
default=Windows

image="/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-2"
        label="linux"
        read-only
        root="/dev/hda4"

other=/dev/hda1
        optional
        label=Windows

image="/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.3-12"
        label="LinuxNew"
        root="/dev/hda4"
        read-only

(the linux.conf file is the same, just without the /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-2
image).

Any help appreciated,

Michael

2. HELP!Man Pgs/Xvideo colordepth

3. LILO: how to get the /etc/lilo.conf file working

4. problem with shutdown (strange messages)

5. lilo can't find /etc/lilo.conf, even though it's there

6. Samba <--> Windows Strange 8.3 conversion

7. lilo.conf ignored by lilo at boot time

8. Print Header and Footer in Netscape for Linux

9. LILO/lilo.conf question?

10. LILO - Can I add a command line argument to /etc/lilo.conf?

11. LILO not reading LILO.CONF

12. Lilo bombs on append line in lilo.conf

13. Sample lilo.conf to solve the LILO stops at LI problem