NT/LIINUX dual boot problem: NT boot failed

NT/LIINUX dual boot problem: NT boot failed

Post by Hongyu Zha » Sun, 04 Nov 2001 01:32:42

Dear Linux/NT gurus,

Can anyone please help me solve my problem on NT/linux installation?
The symptom is that after I installed Linux on my NT desktop, I can
launch Linux but can't enter my old NT system anymore.

My hardware is:
A compaq desktop pc, originally with just one 8G scsi hard drive and
OS of NT4.0. I bought a new IDE hard drive of 20G, then decided to
install Mandrake 8.1 on the computer. I shrinked the NT patition in
the scsi hard drive to 6G (/dev/sda1), and put the boot sector of
Linux at the end of the scsi drive (/dev/sda2). The IDE hard drive
(/dev/hdd) was patitioned to hold Linux directory /home and /usr. This
is my PC in my office, so unfortunately I don't have NT kit with me.

More detailed symptom:
I can correctly enter Lilo. Then if I choose Linux, I can correctly
enter the Linux OS and can mount and view those NT files under Linux.
However, if I choose NT in lilo, it looks fine just at the first
several steps: the system successfully enter the first screen of NT
(shown VGA mode selection etc.), then go to the next two-three screens
displayng info such as

OS Loader 4.01 ......

Microsoft (R) Windows ...
1 System Processor [256 MB memory]

After that, it stucked in a blue background screen showing:
1 System Processor [256 MB memory]

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0X80D6950, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

CPUID:GenuineIntel 6.8.3 irql:0  SYSVER 0xf0000565

Dll Base DateStmp - Name             Dll Base DateStmp - Name
80100000 37e8005b - ntoskrnl.exe     80001000 36c49a8b - hal.dll
... more lines like the above ...

Address  dword dump Build [1381]                            - Name
f40134d4 8014e448 8014e448 f40134f4 801110e 80d69350 00000000 -
ntoskrnl.exe
... more lines like the above ...

At the end of the screen, it shows:
Restart and set the recovery options in the system control panel or
the /CRASHDEBUG system start option. If this message reappears,
contact your system administrator or technical support group.

I also tried to uninstall lilo, using both "lilo -v -u" under Linux
and "fdisk /mbr" under DOS. The final error message looks the same.
Probably because I made multiple trys to install Linux before
eventually succeed, one of the installation might have done a damage
to the boot patition.

The current lilo looks fine to me (only NT section shown below):

boot=/dev/sda
# Win NT loader section
other=/dev/sda1
label=NT
table=/dev/sda

I already exhausted my knowledge and also close to exhausting the
searching of all previous similar posts on Newsgroup, so I can only
hope that some Gurus in this newsgroup can teach me something
effective. Sorry for my long post, because I don't want to waste your
time without providing enough information.

Best regards!

--Hongyu Zhang

NT/LIINUX dual boot problem: NT boot failed

Post by Thomas Papendiec » Mon, 05 Nov 2001 17:53:51

Hongyu Zhang schrieb:
Quote:

> Dear Linux/NT gurus,

> Can anyone please help me solve my problem on NT/linux installation?
> The symptom is that after I installed Linux on my NT desktop, I can
> launch Linux but can't enter my old NT system anymore.

> My hardware is:
> A compaq desktop pc, originally with just one 8G scsi hard drive and
> OS of NT4.0. I bought a new IDE hard drive of 20G,

This confuses NT.
NT places IDE-hd before SCSI-hds. so now the entry in boot.ini points to
a (most likly nonexisting) directory on the IDE-hd.
Try to edit <boot.ini> and increse either one of the first tree numbers
in:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT4="Windows NT Workstation,
Version 4.0"

Note that only one change will by right, but I cannot say which...

Quote:> then decided to

--

MfG
Thomas Papendieck

eMail is as private as a post card - Please encrypt your answer!
PGP key available at: pgp.ai.mit.edu - port: 11371
ID: 0x273C213E
finger print: 4CB3 2D02 802A 3DA6 0499  0768 4CB1 D301 273C 213E

1. NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

Why is everyone comparing whatever operating system with NT?

*     / - -                           /-----/ /                          *
*    /____  /   / /----/ /----/      /       /     /----/ /---/ /----/   *
*        / / / / /----/ /----/      /       /---/ /----/ /   / /----/    *
*   ___ / /_/_/ /____  /____       /_____/ /   / /____  /   /  ____/     *

---
 t MR/2 t

2. REDHAT SECURITY

3. NT/Linux Dual Boot - NT Randomly Hangs

4. Console messages and OpenWindows

5. NT + Linux dual boot, can I repair damaged NT loader?

6. Interested

7. Dual booting DOS/NT & Installing Linux on PC running NT,

8. Help me With Accelerated X

9. dual-HD, dual-boot problem ... booting Win98 fails on hdb

10. Dual boot: NT Boot Loader and Solaris 8

11. Dual Boot of Unixware 7.0 and NT - How without commercial boot manager?

12. dual booting NT and linux without windows boot loaders

13. Dual Boot NT and FreeBSD using Boot Easy?