mounted win drive over samba cannot be written to

mounted win drive over samba cannot be written to

Post by vjmarriot » Thu, 15 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I had a similar problem.  There is an insecure, brute-force fix which I
ended up using since I wasn't worried about security and I got tired of
trying various permission and access rights permutations (I am sure
there is a simple, elegant answer to your problem -- I just don't know
it).  Add the following to the properties of your /win share:

admin users = <user on B>.

Again, this is a potential security problem, because <user on B> has
root access to the share, so don't do it if you are worried about that
sort of thing.  Also, keep in mind that files written to a share by an
admin user are owned by root, not <user on B>.

> hi there,

> i've got 2 machines on a peer-to-peer network. A dual-boots to linux and
> win98, while B runs only win98. while in linux i use SAMBA on A to share
> files with B and it's great as B sees both the linux drive as well as the
> mounted windows drive on A.

> the situation is, when i try to write to the windows drive (mounted on /win)
> from B windows tells me something about the files being write-protected.

> here's a copy of my /etc/smb.conf:

<snip>

1. Legato backup won't write unless I am snooping

I am trying to backup a server in a DMZ zone that has been hardened
but they are failing.  I have done this on other servers and we have
an any/any rule in place to allow all traffic through.

I can probe the server (savegrp -p) and that works.
I can kick off the backup and it starts and writes about 100-700KB and
then hangs.
BUT if I am on the DMZ server and I do a snoop the backup continues.
If I stop the snoop the backup hangs again, and if I start snooping
the backup starts writing again.

Like I said I have done this on other servers in a DMZ and didn't have
this problem.

I have hardened this server a little more so I don't know if I am not
starting something that needs to be running.

I have rpc running and can do rpcinfo's to it and see the nsrexecd
port listening.  When the backup starts I see the save processes
running.

This server is running ssh so all my traffic is coming over the ssh
port when I am logged in, and I don't see what snooping would do to
open any ports.

Thank
Cade

2. What Tuning for Errno=23

3. Why am I getting Kernel Panic VFS cannot mount root fs on 301?

4. X-server configuration problem

5. Samba shares and Windows clients - cannot write to it when data size exceeds about 2 gig

6. xlock problems

7. Win CE connects to Samba but software fails to write data.

8. User interface for X that is like HP-VUE?

9. A problem: WIN NT (spit) cannot see Linux/SAMBA

10. SAMBA cannot connect with WIN NT 4.0 WORKSTATION

11. A problem: WIN NT (spit) cannot see Linux/SAMBA

12. Win 2000 clients cannot join SAMBA PDC

13. Win 98 cannot retrieve list of users from samba