HELP PLEASE: Lost Kernel Hostname HELP

Post by Gatorta » Sat, 07 Dec 1996 04:00:00

system based on RedHat 3.03 much modified.
Linux 2.0.22 kernel
In process of adding NCSA 1.52a HTTP server I have lost my Kernel
hostname. The network still has it. I can use the my new  HTTP server
with my hostname, the prompt shows "none" where the hostname should
be. I added /bin/hostname hfb1.softdisk.com in several places; rc,
rc.inet1 etc with no success. I can add it to the ENV with
HOSTNAME=hfb1.softdisk.com
export HOSTNAME but the kernel never gets it.
 Please help a struggling newbie.
Thanks for reading,
Harold Baird

HELP PLEASE: Lost Kernel Hostname HELP

Post by dogby » Sun, 08 Dec 1996 04:00:00

put fqdn in HOSTNAME file in /etc

one entry, top line, no comments

ks

--
++           Kevin Simpson...   Technical Consulting.             ++
++      PC's, Nets, AutoCAD, NT, NTAS, Linux, RAS, Wetware        ++

++      Visit HELL...our new home is http://eversion.com          ++

1. please help - lost LILO, LILO lost

Hello,

i recently brought my linux system down by doing some stupid thing.
i went as far as having no choice but to reset the system a few
times. after that, i tried booting win95 (sorry this beast coexists
on my hard drives). upon getting the wallpaper on screen, the screen
went blank and there was no response. then i rebooted the computer
and this time the lilo prompt was changed from "LILO: " to "LI"
and the system hung. i had no emergency boot disks ready (it was
under work at that time) but i did have a boot disk for win95 and so
i got the dos prompt with that. however, many directories were
not readable, one of which contained a comm program that i needed to
use. i turned to my good old 386, made a rescue disk and somehow
managed to get into linux again. now everythings works fine under
linux with booting from a floppy but i can't figure out how i could
fix the supposedly damaged MBR. i tried restoring the old MBR by
'lilo -u' and 'dd if=/boot/boot.0300 of=/dev/hda bs=446 count=1'
and reinstall lilo but it didn't work. by restoring the old mbr,
i get a message like 'insert system disk' or something, and by
reinstalling it, i get the "LI" prompt again. the lilo.conf file
is as follows.

compact
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
# timeout=600
image=/vmlinuz
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda2
        read-only
other=/dev/hda1
        label=dos
        table=/dev/hda

i still can mount win95 filesystems and i think everything is readable,
if that matters. help, anyone please?

--
Our freedom, or your life!                              <RATM>

2. kernel 1.3.80 gives the following error on boot up:

3. Help please: Lost Iso9660 support after recompiling kernel

4. source code displayed using jrun

5. help - please urgent help needed to get back the lost or corrupted partition table

6. Opera Net Browser

7. Linux newbie lost mouse in Xfree86 after recompiling kernel, need help to help himOne

8. Openserver V network performance hit

9. HELP, at every reboot AIX loses the hostname ...

10. HELP-HELP-HELP: change hostname

11. PLEASE PLEASE HELP Major problem with my SCSI & Redhat 5.0 PLEASE Help

12. help help help help! please!

13. HELP HELP HELP PLEASE HELP