stopping and starting all services after chkconfig

stopping and starting all services after chkconfig

Post by Bill » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello,

Once I use chkconfig to turn services off I have noticed that some of the
ports published by these services are immediately terminated where in other
cases the ports are still published until I reboot.  I know that I should
not have to reboot.

What is the command for shutting down and restarting all services after
turning some off with chkconfig?

Thanks Randy

stopping and starting all services after chkconfig

Post by Rand » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I don't know for sure this is right answer, but it appears as though running
inetd after making changes with chkconfig makes the changes take effect.

If this is isn't correct please let me know.

Thanks Randy

Quote:> Hello,

> Once I use chkconfig to turn services off I have noticed that some of the
> ports published by these services are immediately terminated where in
other
> cases the ports are still published until I reboot.  I know that I should
> not have to reboot.

> What is the command for shutting down and restarting all services after
> turning some off with chkconfig?

> Thanks Randy

stopping and starting all services after chkconfig

Post by ne.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>I don't know for sure this is right answer, but it appears as though running
>inetd after making changes with chkconfig makes the changes take effect.

>If this is isn't correct please let me know.

That is not correct. And please quote in context.

>> Hello,

>> Once I use chkconfig to turn services off I have noticed that some of the
>> ports published by these services are immediately terminated where in
>other
>> cases the ports are still published until I reboot.  I know that I should
>> not have to reboot.

>> What is the command for shutting down and restarting all services after
>> turning some off with chkconfig?

Chkconfig is responsible for setting up the links in /etc/rcX.d.
I am not sure whether it aktually stops services in use. It seems
you use an RH based distribution. If this is so, take a look at
/etc/rc.d/rc. There is a section in it that runs the KILL scripts
before running the START scripts. You might have to cut these
sections and paste into a script file and then run the file.

Drop the vase and it will become a Ming of the past.
                -- The Adventurer
  2:05pm  up 15 days, 21:57,  9 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

stopping and starting all services after chkconfig

Post by Rand » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

HI,

Can you please tell us what the correct answer is for shutting down and
restarting all the services administered by chkconfig?  I have found that
the ports and often times not opened or closed automatically after making a
change using chkconfig to turn them off and on.

I do not know what you mean by "please quote in context".

Thanks
Randy

..

> >I don't know for sure this is right answer, but it appears as though
running
> >inetd after making changes with chkconfig makes the changes take effect.

> >If this is isn't correct please let me know.
> That is not correct. And please quote in context.

> >> Hello,

> >> Once I use chkconfig to turn services off I have noticed that some of
the
> >> ports published by these services are immediately terminated where in
> >other
> >> cases the ports are still published until I reboot.  I know that I
should
> >> not have to reboot.

> >> What is the command for shutting down and restarting all services after
> >> turning some off with chkconfig?
> Chkconfig is responsible for setting up the links in /etc/rcX.d.
> I am not sure whether it aktually stops services in use. It seems
> you use an RH based distribution. If this is so, take a look at
> /etc/rc.d/rc. There is a section in it that runs the KILL scripts
> before running the START scripts. You might have to cut these
> sections and paste into a script file and then run the file.

> --
> Registered Linux User # 125653 (http://counter.li.org)
> Drop the vase and it will become a Ming of the past.
> -- The Adventurer
>   2:05pm  up 15 days, 21:57,  9 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

stopping and starting all services after chkconfig

Post by ne.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>HI,

>Can you please tell us what the correct answer is for shutting down and
>restarting all the services administered by chkconfig?  I have found that
>the ports and often times not opened or closed automatically after making a
>change using chkconfig to turn them off and on.

To the best of my knowledge there isn't one. The closest is
init. To kill and start all the services in a runlevel you
would do:

init 1; init 3

or

init 1; init 5

as tthe case may be. Check your /etc/inittab for the runlevels
used on your system

Quote:

>I do not know what you mean by "please quote in context".

Quote the text you are replying to before typing your
answer. This gives context so we know what you are replying
to. And please remember to cut out .sigs.
[...]

within delta of adj.

 See delta.

  2:40pm  up 15 days, 22:31, 10 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Post by David . » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hello,

> Once I use chkconfig to turn services off I have noticed that some of the
> ports published by these services are immediately terminated where in other
> cases the ports are still published until I reboot.  I know that I should
> not have to reboot.

> What is the command for shutting down and restarting all services after
> turning some off with chkconfig?

> Thanks Randy

/etc/rc.d/init.d/servicename stop
/etc/rc.d/init.d/servicename start
/etc/rc.d/init.d/servicename restart

Where servicename is the service you want to stop,start, or restart.

ID # 123538
Completed more work units than: 98.787% of seti users +/- 0.01%.

stopping and starting all services after chkconfig

Post by Black Drag » Wed, 08 Nov 2000 11:44:59

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000 10:23:10 -0800 in comp.os.linux.setup,

Quote:>Hello,

>Once I use chkconfig to turn services off I have noticed that some of the
>ports published by these services are immediately terminated where in other
>cases the ports are still published until I reboot.  I know that I should
>not have to reboot.

>What is the command for shutting down and restarting all services after
>turning some off with chkconfig?

>Thanks Randy

On Red Hat, I use the command "init 1". Run level 1 (on RH) is single user
mode. To bring the machine back up to the default run level, type "exit".
(you may have to login if single user mode is secured) See "man init" for
more info.

--
Black Dragon

Sign The Linux Driver Petition:
http://www.libralinux.com/petition.english.html

stopping and starting all services after chkconfig

Post by Dave Barnet » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

If you're on RH, you can use:

service <service_name> stop
service <service_name> start
service <service_name> restart

Where <service_name> is replaced with the service you want to address,
e.g. xinetd, xntpd, afs, autofs, etc.

and "stop", "start", "restart" are what you want the service to do.
Stop kills it, start starts it, restart does a stop then start.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Dave

--
Dave Barnett    System Software Engineer        x1434

Indecision is the key to flexibility.

Post by Norman Levi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> If you're on RH, you can use:

> service <service_name> stop
> service <service_name> start
> service <service_name> restart

***  and  service name reload
***     for those services that will use a kill -HUP signal to
***     refresh configuration files.

Quote:

> Where <service_name> is replaced with the service you want to address,
> e.g. xinetd, xntpd, afs, autofs, etc.

> and "stop", "start", "restart" are what you want the service to do.
> Stop kills it, start starts it, restart does a stop then start.

> Good luck.

> Cheers,
> Dave

> --
> Dave Barnett    System Software Engineer        x1434

> Indecision is the key to flexibility.

--
Norman Levin