Ensoniq Soundscape - /dev/audio: No such device or address

Ensoniq Soundscape - /dev/audio: No such device or address

Post by Paul Moo » Mon, 28 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Can anybody help? I can't for the life of me get my sound card (an
Ensoniq Soundscape plug and play) working.

I'm running SuSE Linux 5.3, kernel 2.0.35.

I've rebuilt my kernel, configuring
    SOUND=y (kernel, not a module)
    Soundscape=y
    /dev/{dsp,audio}=y
    MIDI=y
    FM Synth=y

But no matter what I do, I get the same error,
    cat /usr/X11R6/lib/TkDesk/sounds/start.au >/dev/audio
    bash: /dev/audio: No such device or address

I've checked /dev/audio, and its device numbers match what the
documentation says:
    crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root      14,   4 Jul 26 20:45 /dev/audio

The sound HOWTO says that this is possibly an IO address mismatch, but
how do I work out what address I should use?

The Windows 95 system devices listing claims that the soundscape uses

   ESS card: IRQ 5,9
             DMA 0,1
             IO 0330-033F

   Soundblaster Emulation: IO 0220-022F and 0388-0389

The linux pnpdump utility offers a number of options, all defining
IO 0, IRQ 0, IRQ 1, DMA 0, DMA 1, with no indication of what these are
*used* for.

The kernel configuration menu wants to know:
    MIDI IO base
    MIDI IRQ
    Initialization DMA
    Audio IO
    Audio IRQ
    Audio DMA buffer size

I *guessed* MIDI IO as 330, MIDI IRQ as 5 (because 9 is needed for
audio IRQ) Init DMA as 0 (no good reason), Audio IO as 534 (because
it's the kernel conf default, and it's displayed in one of the
pictures in the ESS manual!!!), Audio IO as 9 (because 5 isn't in the
list of allowed values) and I left DMA buffer size as 65536 (the
default given).

This seems a lousy way of setting device hardware parameters, and
guess what, it didn't work. But nor did any of the other plausible
combinations of numbers :-(

I've tried running isapnp to set up the card, and ssinit from the
sound utils 3.0, to load the microcode image that Windows uses
(sndscape.co0), but nothing makes a difference.

I have no idea how to match the IO/IRQ/DMA values I can get from the
documentation and system, against the values that the kernel config
wants.

Can anybody help? I'm going daft trying to sort this out. Where do I
go from here???

Thanks for any help,
Paul Moore.

Ensoniq Soundscape - /dev/audio: No such device or address

Post by Jose Uren » Tue, 29 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I have no IDEA but:
Do not limit your search to the ensoniq Soundscape brand only.
Remember that the sound blaster PCI64 is the same card as the ensoniq PCI.
Creative owns Ensoniq.

Quote:> Can anybody help? I can't for the life of me get my sound card (an

Post by Afrasiab Ahma » Fri, 02 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Can anybody help? I can't for the life of me get my sound card (an
> Ensoniq Soundscape plug and play) working.

> I'm running SuSE Linux 5.3, kernel 2.0.35.

I have the same card and I had the same problem. It's an easy fix. Go to
http://www.4front-tech.com and download the drivers and then install it.

This fixed my problem. You have to buy it though...

Afra

Ensoniq Soundscape - /dev/audio: No such device or address

Post by David Curra » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I have an ESS in my Compaq and it runs fine.  You may want to check your
settings for the card and make sure that you answered yes to the question
about supporting /dev/audio.

David C.

> > Can anybody help? I can't for the life of me get my sound card (an
> > Ensoniq Soundscape plug and play) working.

> > I'm running SuSE Linux 5.3, kernel 2.0.35.

> I have the same card and I had the same problem. It's an easy fix. Go to
> http://www.4front-tech.com and download the drivers and then install it.

> This fixed my problem. You have to buy it though...

> Afra

1. NEC IDE CD-ROM and Ensoniq Soundscape audio card

Hello,

I have just purchased a Gateway 2000 P5-90 with 32 MB of RAM and 1 GB
hard drive. It also came with an Ensoniq Soundscape audio card and an
NEC CDR-260 CD-ROM drive. I have managed to install the recent
Slackware, and I have also grabbed and compiled the 1.1.35 Linux
kernel, which I wrote to a boot disk (via make zdisk). Although lilo
won't install (it complains that I have too many cylinders), I am
content to use a boot disk. I got yellow pages and the Mach64 X server
set up, and so I am now just about fully functional.

Thus my machine is almost fully functional. What I lack is CD-ROM
access and sound card support. Is this NEC CDR-260 IDE CD-ROM
supported? Although the sound card has a SoundBlaster compatibility
mode, I have not been able to determine how to make certain that this
mode is available without a MS-DOS configuration utility.

If anybody has any helpful suggestions, I would appreciate them.

Thomas Vaughan
Department of Physics and Astronomy
University of Oklahoma

2. FTP filesystem?

3. dev/audio : No such device or address!

4. Supra Express 56i (internal ISA modem card)

5. PAS16 - /dev/audio no such device or address

6. xconsole from linux

7. /dev/audio: no such device or address?

8. Gerneral knowledge needed

9. Ensoniq Soundscape mixer device

10. Missing /dev/audio // Has a SPARCstation 4 an audio device ?

11. /dev/dsp, /dev/audio, /dev/midi., /dev/sndsta

12. Audio mixer for /dev/audio or USB audio?

13. AXi & PCI Audio Warning (Creative Ensoniq Audio PCI)