need PPP login procedure help

Post by Devin Wo » Tue, 24 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I asked my ISP (school) and got no response -- we're in between sysadmins.
Anyway, I don't know the login procedure and am hoping someone out there
will recognize the message I get when I connect via a chat script and a
simple dial-up connection.  Hopefully, someone can tell me the correct
login prompts and responses so I can make a chat script.

From /var/log/messages when trying with standard pppd chat script as
well as normal dial-up proceedings:

AutoProtocolDetect - Begin protocol or enter 4 returns for interactive
mode.^[[K^M

Entering interactive mode yields the normal dial-up connection menu, but
no ppp option.  The how-to standard chat script ("ogin...ssword" prompts)
of course didn't work since there's no "ogin ... ssword" prompts to see.
Doing nothing logs me off after about 1 minute.

I successfully configured win95 for this ppp connection since most of that
is automated.  However, I don't know what win95 does during this "auto
protocol detect" section.  Any help appreciated.

Devin

Post by Steve Meisne » Tue, 24 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> I asked my ISP (school) and got no response -- we're in between sysadmins.
> Anyway, I don't know the login procedure and am hoping someone out there
> will recognize the message I get when I connect via a chat script and a
> simple dial-up connection.  Hopefully, someone can tell me the correct
> login prompts and responses so I can make a chat script.

> From /var/log/messages when trying with standard pppd chat script as
> well as normal dial-up proceedings:

> AutoProtocolDetect - Begin protocol or enter 4 returns for interactive
> mode.^[[K^M

> Entering interactive mode yields the normal dial-up connection menu, but
> no ppp option.  The how-to standard chat script ("ogin...ssword" prompts)
> of course didn't work since there's no "ogin ... ssword" prompts to see.
> Doing nothing logs me off after about 1 minute.

> I successfully configured win95 for this ppp connection since most of that
> is automated.  However, I don't know what win95 does during this "auto
> protocol detect" section.  Any help appreciated.

> Devin

Have your chat script expect "Auto" and then send "ppp".  Might work.
--
"Don't steal, the Government hates competition!"

Courtesy of Netscape and Linux 2.0 [running 2.0.26]

Post by Devin Wo » Wed, 25 Jun 1997 04:00:00

: > From /var/log/messages when trying with standard pppd chat script as
: > well as normal dial-up proceedings:
: >
: > AutoProtocolDetect - Begin protocol or enter 4 returns for interactive
: > mode.^[[K^M
: >
: > I successfully configured win95 for this ppp connection since most of that
: > is automated.  However, I don't know what win95 does during this "auto
: > protocol detect" section.  Any help appreciated.
:
: Have your chat script expect "Auto" and then send "ppp".  Might work.

Thanks, but unfortunately that didn't work, either. :(

Devin

1. ppp login procedure

Dear Linux Users-

I have mgetty working to answer the phone, and I can successfully dial into my office linux
machine from home.  I want to try to get PPP working now, so I can dial into
the same computer and get a win95 ppp connection.  I have the /AutoPPP/ line included
in login.config file like this:

/AutoPPP/ - - /usr/sbin/pppd auth -chap +pap login modem crtscts lock

And I have respawed mgetty.  What is the login procedure now to initiate the ppp
connection?

Do I dial in from win95 at home (using win95 DUN), log in as usual in the
win95 'post connection' window (e.g. get to the linux $ prompt), then hit 'f7' and let the
win95 ppp thing negotiate the connection with the linux box?

Thanks

Tom Bensky

2. Permissions on Windows partition

3. PPP Login Failure..Need Help!

4. Old (old) tape drive (Alloy APT-40/Q)

5. I can't login ppp need help!

6. libc.so.5 not found

7. Need help automating procedure with Linux

8. CDROMPLAYMSF troubles

9. need help on subnetting procedure

10. Need help with HPUX disaster recovery procedures

11. HELP: Procedures need to fully use remote account

12. HELP NEEDED : RECURSIVE SHELL PROCEDURE

13. HELP: ppp scirpt: howto change ppp login name after connection