modem works, Internet does not

modem works, Internet does not

Post by alwin.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



Greetings,

My modem (diamond supra express 56 external on com1) dials in normally
and makes the connection with the ISP. But Netscape reports errors
(plse check again address, can't find this url, etc.) as if there were
no Internet connection at all.

I commented "lock" in/etc/ppp/options; Tried connecting the modem to
com2 with no result; There is a symbolic link from ttsy0 to /dev/modem;
demesg does not show IRQ conflicts and confirms the presence of ppp; In
both windows and linux is the com1 set to IRQ 4 (I hardly know anything
about this though); I work as root for this problem so it couldn't be a
privileges problem I suppose.

The same problem occurs with Redhat 6.0 as well as Suse 6.2.

I hate to say this but everything works fine under windows. On my
previous computer (cyrix 200 with non-descript hardware) I had no
problems with the Internet connection.

Current hardware is: Celeron 400 (128 L2 cache) on Aopen AX6BC board,
64 M ram, soundblaster 128 PCI, Viper V550 video card AGP, PS2 mouse.

I can't find anything in the Suse or Redhat web sites, nor in dejanews
that seems related to this problem.

I appreciate any help because I would not want to stop using Linux.

Kind regards, Alwin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

 
 
 

modem works, Internet does not

Post by Arvin » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


If you get "can't find host" errors from Netscape or any other
application that does mean that you have no route to the Internet. Did
you set up your /etc/resolv.conf??
   If not....set it up...you'll need some info from your ISP like...DNS
Server Entry and nameserver entries. /etc/resolv.conf at my work looks
like this.
search  worldnet.att.net
nameserver  135.44.68.345
nameserver  135.44.68.895
nameserver  135.44.68.234

Try this and hopefully you will be OK..
Good Luck

Arvind


> Greetings,

> My modem (diamond supra express 56 external on com1) dials in normally
> and makes the connection with the ISP. But Netscape reports errors
> (plse check again address, can't find this url, etc.) as if there were
> no Internet connection at all.

> I commented "lock" in/etc/ppp/options; Tried connecting the modem to
> com2 with no result; There is a symbolic link from ttsy0 to
/dev/modem;
> demesg does not show IRQ conflicts and confirms the presence of ppp;
In
> both windows and linux is the com1 set to IRQ 4 (I hardly know
anything
> about this though); I work as root for this problem so it couldn't be
a
> privileges problem I suppose.

> The same problem occurs with Redhat 6.0 as well as Suse 6.2.

> I hate to say this but everything works fine under windows. On my
> previous computer (cyrix 200 with non-descript hardware) I had no
> problems with the Internet connection.

> Current hardware is: Celeron 400 (128 L2 cache) on Aopen AX6BC board,
> 64 M ram, soundblaster 128 PCI, Viper V550 video card AGP, PS2 mouse.

> I can't find anything in the Suse or Redhat web sites, nor in dejanews
> that seems related to this problem.

> I appreciate any help because I would not want to stop using Linux.

> Kind regards, Alwin

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

--
Microsoft doesn't WORKstation!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

 
 
 

modem works, Internet does not

Post by Tony Gree » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



> Greetings,

> My modem (diamond supra express 56 external on com1) dials in normally
> and makes the connection with the ISP. But Netscape reports errors
> (plse check again address, can't find this url, etc.) as if there were
> no Internet connection at all.

> I commented "lock" in/etc/ppp/options; Tried connecting the modem to
> com2 with no result; There is a symbolic link from ttsy0 to /dev/modem;
> demesg does not show IRQ conflicts and confirms the presence of ppp; In
> both windows and linux is the com1 set to IRQ 4 (I hardly know anything
> about this though); I work as root for this problem so it couldn't be a
> privileges problem I suppose.

> The same problem occurs with Redhat 6.0 as well as Suse 6.2.

> I hate to say this but everything works fine under windows. On my
> previous computer (cyrix 200 with non-descript hardware) I had no
> problems with the Internet connection.

> Current hardware is: Celeron 400 (128 L2 cache) on Aopen AX6BC board,
> 64 M ram, soundblaster 128 PCI, Viper V550 video card AGP, PS2 mouse.

> I can't find anything in the Suse or Redhat web sites, nor in dejanews
> that seems related to this problem.

> I appreciate any help because I would not want to stop using Linux.

> Kind regards, Alwin

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

Have you checked your DNS settings?  It sounds like you may be connecting
but not pointing at a DNS server - therefore you won't be able to resolve
www.xxx.com to 111.111.111.111

Just a thought.

TG

 
 
 

modem works, Internet does not

Post by Bill Unr » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



>My modem (diamond supra express 56 external on com1) dials in normally
>and makes the connection with the ISP. But Netscape reports errors
>(plse check again address, can't find this url, etc.) as if there were
>no Internet connection at all.

Can you ping external IP addresses.
(eg,
ping 137.82.194.43
and get back a series of lines.
If you cannot, it is probably a route problem.

If you can, then try putting that into netscape
http://137.82.194.43
and see if you connect.
If so then you have a DNS problem. Make sure that the have your
/etc/resolv.conf file set up properly with the addresses of your ISPs
DNS addresses (ask your ISP for them)

Quote:>I commented "lock" in/etc/ppp/options; Tried connecting the modem to
>com2 with no result; There is a symbolic link from ttsy0 to /dev/modem;
>demesg does not show IRQ conflicts and confirms the presence of ppp; In
>both windows and linux is the com1 set to IRQ 4 (I hardly know anything
>about this though); I work as root for this problem so it couldn't be a
>privileges problem I suppose.

All irrelevant for this problem, assuming that you can ping.
If you cannot ping you are not connected at all.
Go to
http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html
for a step by step for connecting.
 
 
 

modem works, Internet does not

Post by sdman.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



>If you get "can't find host" errors from Netscape or any other
>application that does mean that you have no route to the Internet. Did
>you set up your /etc/resolv.conf??
>   If not....set it up...you'll need some info from your ISP like...DNS
>Server Entry and nameserver entries. /etc/resolv.conf at my work looks
>like this.
>search  worldnet.att.net
>nameserver  135.44.68.345
>nameserver  135.44.68.895
>nameserver  135.44.68.234

Excuse me for butting in but I was under the impression that the DNS
system had limits of 255.255.255.255 for the numbers. I hate to be
picky but 345 and 895 are a little larger than 255 so could it be that
name servers 1,2 are not used and you only have nameserver #3 and
if that nameserver is down (unlikely but ya never know) Netscape will
not find the host.

Maniac
A single tasking guy in a multi-tasking world.

>Try this and hopefully you will be OK..
>Good Luck

>Arvind



 
 
 

modem works, Internet does not

Post by Michel Catuda » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



> Greetings,

> My modem (diamond supra express 56 external on com1) dials in normally
> and makes the connection with the ISP. But Netscape reports errors
> (plse check again address, can't find this url, etc.) as if there were
> no Internet connection at all.

> I commented "lock" in/etc/ppp/options; Tried connecting the modem to
> com2 with no result; There is a symbolic link from ttsy0 to /dev/modem;
> demesg does not show IRQ conflicts and confirms the presence of ppp; In
> both windows and linux is the com1 set to IRQ 4 (I hardly know anything
> about this though); I work as root for this problem so it couldn't be a
> privileges problem I suppose.

> The same problem occurs with Redhat 6.0 as well as Suse 6.2.

> I hate to say this but everything works fine under windows. On my
> previous computer (cyrix 200 with non-descript hardware) I had no
> problems with the Internet connection.

> Current hardware is: Celeron 400 (128 L2 cache) on Aopen AX6BC board,
> 64 M ram, soundblaster 128 PCI, Viper V550 video card AGP, PS2 mouse.

> I can't find anything in the Suse or Redhat web sites, nor in dejanews
> that seems related to this problem.

> I appreciate any help because I would not want to stop using Linux.

> Kind regards, Alwin

What do you put in resolv.conf?

I you don't have a search you may connect on the net but it won't work with netscape
unless you have the DNS in Netscape. It is better to put the search line and
then you have something to go by. Under SuSE 6.2 and it is true for Winblows as well,
you don't have to give te DNS numbers as the dialer will find them at connection time.
The problem is that with no DNS related name Netscape will have a problem.
Try a ping with the DNS that you entered to see if you are connected. If you are not
connected you may need pap or chap. If you are not using wvdial it won't be done
automatically for you.

With RedHat use control-panel from X. KDE's kppp ain't worth shit.

--
Tann du plantage avec Ti-Mou?
C'est l'temps d'essayer Linux
http://www.netonecom.net/~bbcat/
We have software, food, music, news, search,
history, electronics and genealogy pages.