CDROM Phillips CM205 Install Probs

Post by Charles Fulto » Fri, 28 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Ok everybody Please help,

I'm installing Redhat Linux 4.2 on an old 386 25Mhz with 8mb of ram.
Because i wanted to test it out before installing on my win95/dos
machine. I have done extensive research and as a last resort i'm coming
here (I read about all the archives and the 3 books that came with my RH
4.2)

My problem is that my CDROM is not detected during installation. From
both using a boot disk with the boot.img (made 4/21/97) and using the
autoboot.bat straight from the CD. The kernel and/or boot.img that came
with rh 4.2 has support for the cm206 w/cm260 cd, but mine is not
covered under this...My CDROM is an Phillips CM205 w/CM250, and it says
on the hardware support HowTo that I have to use a rebuilt Kernel to
install it, well I cant rebuild the kernel until i have it installed???

I found the driver for the cm205 (lmscd0_4.tar.exe ) but I cant figure
out what to do with it?

I might not have read all the info on the books or if i did i just
missed it :(, but I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help
me.

If there is a way to rebuild the kernel without having to install linux
first or a new one out that supports the cm205 w/cm250 I would love to
know where to find it.

Thanks in advance.
------------------------
Charles Fulton

Post by Mark Bakaric » Fri, 28 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> Ok everybody Please help,

> I'm installing Redhat Linux 4.2 on an old 386 25Mhz with 8mb of ram.

[snip]

Quote:> I found the driver for the cm205 (lmscd0_4.tar.exe ) but I cant figure
> out what to do with it?

> I might not have read all the info on the books or if i did i just
> missed it :(, but I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help
> me.

> If there is a way to rebuild the kernel without having to install linux
> first or a new one out that supports the cm205 w/cm250 I would love to
> know where to find it.

It was a patch to be applied against your kernel tree.
I think it dates to kernel 1.2.13. Check dejanews and
Sunsite for some clues.

Usually you have to build it yourself, or have a buddy
compile it for you.

Regards,
--------
Mark Bakarich,  Engineer, YABAR, Tucson.

1. Phillips LMS CM205 CDROM

I am trying to install Slackware (kernel 1.2.8) on a Gateway 2000 4DX2-66V
with a Phillips LMS CM205 CDROM drive.  It uses DD250.SYS under
DOS.  I can't seem to find any LINUX drivers that work with this CDROM.

Does anyone have any suggestions???????

2. X11 server question

3. Phillips/LMS CM205 with Yggdrasil F94?

4. Solaris7 intel ports

5. Help: Linux setup with Phillips CM205 CD-ROM

6. Vacation is no working

7. Help: Linux booting -- Phillips CM205 CD-ROM

8. what's wrong with linux nfs?

9. Phillips CM205 & Linux 1.2.13

10. Phillips LMSI CM205 CD-ROM

11. Phillips CM205 MS CD-ROM Driver Available ?

12. Phillips CDROM (install linux from CD)

13. Philips CM205 MS CDROM driver