hayes Accura 56K fax modem 5675US

Post by Xiaowen Wan » Mon, 12 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi:

I spent the whole weekend fighting with the Hayes Accura 56K model 5675US
internal modem. I had hoped this will not be another winmodem.

The kernel seems to recognize this modem at boot:

/dev/modem, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03e8, IRQ: 4

, the irq and port address are exactly the same as what Win95 shows.

However, whenever I startup pppd, it failed with the same I/O error as
below:

[21:56][swangken:~ ]% tail /var/log/ppp
Jul 11 21:53:35 localhost pppd[538]: pppd 2.3.5 started by root, uid 0
Jul 11 21:53:35 localhost pppd[538]: tcgetattr: Input/output error(5)
Jul 11 21:53:36 localhost pppd[538]: Exit.

, no matter how I started it. I actually couldn't even hear any noise from
it.

When I did "more /proc/interrupts" or "more /proc/ioports", I couldn't see
the entry for ttyS2, where my modem stays.

Would anybody give me some advice? It's really an exhausting experience
wrestling with this modem. This card needs driver downloaded from the
manufacturer, but from the way it ran, it looked different from my last
winmodem.

Thanks very much for any of your advice

Xiaowen

Post by Rob Cla » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>I spent the whole weekend fighting with the Hayes Accura 56K model 5675US
>internal modem. I had hoped this will not be another winmodem.

Do you have specifics, such as the FCC number that is printed on the modem
and the numbers on the chips?  I assume this modem is ISA and does not
have jumpers?

>The kernel seems to recognize this modem at boot:

>/dev/modem, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03e8, IRQ: 4

>, the irq and port address are exactly the same as what Win95 shows.

If it's PnP, you'll need to use isapnptools anyway.  If you got 'UART:
unknown' at this point, ther's no use messing with kppp.

http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

1. Hayes Accura 56K + Fax: V.90 upgrade

[ Article reposted from comp.dcom.modems ]
[ Author was Art Jackson ]
[ Posted on Sun, 15 Aug 1999 21:53:00 +0000 ]

Take a look here, you may find what you are looking for.
http://www.modemexpress.com/
I couldn't comment on the method of upgrading but once it is done,
the modem should be able to run with any OS via the serial port.
Good luck.

--
***************************                      _______
| Art Jackson       W4TOY |  When all else      |       |

***************************                     |_______|

2. Force specific users to use ssh when telnet is available

3. Hayes PCI Accura 56K Internal Modem - Support?

4. pptpd using PAM authentication

5. Hayes Accura 56K external modem recently became poor in downloading data

6. Desparate for LILO advice with OS/2 Boot Mgr

7. Hayes Accura 56k Internal Modem

8. Sorting two files, then merging

9. Hayes Accura 56K v.90 Int Modem Problem

10. ARE HAYES ACCURA 56K/V.90 MODEMS LINUX-COMPATIBLE...?

11. Hayes Accura 56K modem

12. HAYES ACCURA 56K modem or white elephant ????

13. Config for Hayes Accura 56k Internal Speakerphone Modem