md5 vs des shadow files

Post by Tony Schliesse » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 07:03:27

Hi, I just upgraded a box to redhat 7.2.  Unfortunately the upgrade
encrypted the passwd entries in the shadow file with MD5 and not the older
des.

How would one go about changing so that linux would use the older encryption
(des) instead of md5?

Thanks

md5 vs des shadow files

Post by Kosh Vade » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 08:49:54

Just curious, but why do you want the old style encryption (DES)?

Chris

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 17:03:27 -0500, "Tony Schliesser"

>Hi, I just upgraded a box to redhat 7.2.  Unfortunately the upgrade
>encrypted the passwd entries in the shadow file with MD5 and not the older
>des.

>How would one go about changing so that linux would use the older encryption
>(des) instead of md5?

>Thanks

>-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

1. MD5 vs. DES

Hi!

I am just wondering.  When I get all those crypto sources hanging
around, and make world, how do I tell to build MD5-based system, not
DES.  Thought of /etc/default/make.conf, but could not find a clue
there...

FreeBSD 4.0, btw.

2. WD33cv93

3. des vs MD5

4. Bandwidth Shaping

5. DES worses MD5 password file

6. pop3 config question

7. mod_proxy and SIGPIPE

8. Shadow password files vs. non-shadowed passwords

9. des/md5/crypt

10. HELP! I realy need MD5 and DES algorithms!

11. Will DES install ok on a system with MD5