Shadow package 'login' and backspace...

Post by Ryan Nie » Wed, 11 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Hello,
        I recently switched over to shadow passwords, with a great deal of
success.  However, I have noticed one subtle difference.  It appears that
the 'login' program that is distributed with shadow-mk sets the backspace
key incorrectly.  Programs based on ncurses or that were written such that
the backspace key default is not permanent still work okay, but programs
that expect ^H (or whatever) do not.  One example is the 'chfn' program,
which does not recognize backspace after installing the shadow package.
(Others include vi, minicom, etc...).  Using "stty erase ^H" has no
immediate affect, but typing 'reset' does seem to solve the problem.  Yet,
my users really get a bit irked when the screen clears a fraction of a
second after login displays whether they have mail or not.

        How can I get my system back to the backspace behavior that is seen
without the shadow package's login replacement?  Would the best solution be
to just hack the login source code and change it manually, or is there
something I'm obviously missing?

Thanks in advance,
   -Ryan Niemi

Klamath Falls, Oregon                         http://www.magick.net/~rniemi

1. BackSpace at 'login:' doesn't work

The BackSpace key at the login: prompt STILL doesn't work
for me on kernel 1.3.14.  It hasn't worked for some time.
Well - it _does_ work, but it just doesn't erase the
displayed character on the screen.  I've looked at the
/etc/termcap and can't see anything wrong with it.  Can
anyone give me a clue as to what's wrong and what I have
to do to fix it?  It happened once before in an earlier
kernel.

Please REPLY rather than following-up the article as our
news spool area is rather small!

Karl

Vitrociset S.p.A.                               Tel   : +(49) 6151 902041
European Space Agency                           Fax   : +(49) 6151 904041

2. Three print queues, one printer--possible conflicts?

3. Can't use backspace in 'login:' prompt

4. FreeBSD and Linux

5. Shadow package from sunsite (shadow'd passwords)

6. make mrproper depends on .hdepend?

7. shadow login: 'No utmp entry ...' - what now?

8. Route table fluctuates in size after 4.3.3.0 upgrade

9. Install 'hangs' during installation of 'Local Packages'

10. 'ls' doesn't work on net-2 in.ftpd for shadow passwords

11. Q : Digital Unix 4.0 login problem : 'No directory!' & 'No shell!'

12. What is the difference between 'login: root' and 'su -' ?