reconnecting ppp dialup -- question from RIP

reconnecting ppp dialup -- question from RIP

Post by me » Thu, 24 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Does anyone out there know how to setup ppp so that it will redial the
number if disconnected and also set this dialup to start automactically upon
bootup. I know how to do this through the control panel in X but I can't
stand X and want to get rid of it and just use linux. Anyone know how to do
this or where information about something like this can be found???

Thanks
RIP

reconnecting ppp dialup -- question from RIP

Post by Martin Purschk » Thu, 24 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi RIP,

should be straightforward... look a line in your dial-up script which goes like

exec /usr/sbin/pppd  /dev/modem 115200  connect $DIALER_SCRIPT

change that to

until false; do
    /usr/sbin/pppd  /dev/modem 115200  connect $DIALER_SCRIPT
    echo "redialing..."
done

and it will go on forever until you relieve it. You can get fancy with the way
you can terminate the repeat. Be warned, though, that if your ISP assigns you a
different IP address when you redial, your existing connections will be dead.

I just sent a long mail in response to F. Chang how I do the automatic dial-in
at startup, even with two different ISP's (look for my message last Saturday
late or maybe early Sunday morning). If you can't find it, mail me for another
copy.

Martin

> Does anyone out there know how to setup ppp so that it will redial the
> number if disconnected and also set this dialup to start automactically upon
> bootup. I know how to do this through the control panel in X but I can't
> stand X and want to get rid of it and just use linux. Anyone know how to do
> this or where information about something like this can be found???

> Thanks
> RIP

1. Question about PPP auto reconnect

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone has gotten pppd to automagically redial and
reconnect if a modem connection goes down for some reason?  I would
suppose that the solution would be in writing a chat script to handle
this, but I'm not sure where to begin and where to look for
information.  I have looked at the PPP howto, the Linux Net-Admin, pppd
man pages, chat man pages, but nothing is sifting out.

Thanks,

Ferrol B.

2. ATC (game) core dumps, redhat5

3. question concerning ppp dialup, chap, and adding routes

4. r-bone script???

5. Newbie Question Re: PPP dialup

6. Intel board sound problem

7. PPP dialup question

8. counting the number of login per hour

9. PPP Dialup question...

10. PPP dialup question

11. NT and Linux PPP dialup bps rate questions

12. newbie question: ppp dialup problem

13. RIP ----> rpm <----- RIP