1. If you see "VFS : Unable to mount root fs...", check this out.
I'd posted two messages regarding the hard disk partition not found error.
And finally figured out.
the message was:
hda: multiple mode turned off
MINIX-fs : unable to read superblock
EXT2-fs: unable to read superblock
MSDOS bread failed
UMSDOS Beta 0.6(compatibility level 0.4 fast msdos)
MSDOS vread failed
isofs_read_super : vread failed, dev 0x304 iso-blkum16
Kernel panic : VFS : Unable to mount root fs on 03:04
then stoped. Nothing worked but reset.
I'm using 2gig Maxtor HD. I used to have a bios which does not accept that
large hard at all, so I used a kind of disk manager program comes with the HD.
After upgrading to Pentium(mother board and bios changed also), I didn't much
care whether the new bios read the HD or not. Later I found out that my
motherboard can catch the HD. Anyway, the diskmanager was not a big deal.
Linux worked fine 'till I installed new kernel.
For about two weeks, I tried everything I can think. I compiled kernel more
than 10 times(I thought I missed an important option), removed lilo and use
lilo disk or re-installed lilo about 5 times(I thought it could possibly
re-write partition info.), and also removed whole linux and started over from
partition about 3 times.(lilo did not make partition table readable, so
Last thing I could think was the d**n disk manager. I removed it, then it is
!!! REMOVE DISKMAGER PROGRAM, if possible. !!!
2. Perl5001/Linux fails op/exec test
3. "VFS: unable to mount root" after kernel rebuild
4. Does any socket can produce SIGIO signal ?
5. "KP:VFS:Unable to mount root fs on nn:n0"
6. London Area Solaris Assistance
7. "2842 controller - Kernel panic VFS: unable to mount root fs on 1:02"
8. Proxy silently doesn't work
9. What's mean "Kernel panic: VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 08:02"
11. VFS: Cannot open root device """ or 08:41
12. HELP: "reboot" and "ctrl-alt-del" causes system to hang
13. HELP: "reboot" and "ctrl-alt-del" causes system to hang...