COL 2.3 and SB Live

Post by John » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I cannot get the Live card to work in COL2.3. I keep getting the same
problem no matter which of the SB Live drivers I try. When I try the
modprobe emu10k1, the system always dumps about 20 or so unresolved symbols,
such as:

unregister_sound_mixer
register_sound_midi
...etc.

BTW, I did do a depmod -a, and it comes back on this module with unresolves
symbols.

Am I missing something here, or is the driver from Creative just plain not
going to work?

John

COL 2.3 and SB Live

Post by QuestionExchang » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

You've discovered why binary-only drivers for Linux provide
only minimal support... they are dependant on kernel version,
and if you don't have the correct kernel, you're somewhat
out of luck.
You can force the module to load using insmod rather than
modprobe - try "insmod soundcore; insmod -f emu10K1"
The unresolved symbols problem might be due to a wrong
kernel version, or it may be that you don't have sound
capabilities enabled in your kernel.
Look for the soundcore.o module in /lib/modules/2.x.x/misc/
if it's not there, and it's not compiled into your kernel,
you will need to recompile your kernel with sound support
enabled.
I assume you've seen the FAQ at
http://developer.soundblaster.com/linux/live_faq.html ?
There is also a handful of information at
http://www.freshmeat.net/appindex/1999/05/05/925898632.html
but take that all with a grain of salt.  I wouldn't hex-edit
the driver until I had exhausted my other options.  :)
If the specs for the chip are ever made public, all of these
problems should go away.  You might consider writing a polite
letter to Creative asking for this.

Good luck!
-Eric

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com
  http://www.questionexchange.com/showUsenetGuest.jhtml?ans_id=4501&cus...