After running startx: Caught error 11, fatal error, Server aborted

After running startx: Caught error 11, fatal error, Server aborted

Post by Friedemann Rus » Sat, 02 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

after getting a new mainboard (Soyo 82430HX PCI) and an additional HD
(IDE) I install Linux 2.0.18. I still run my linux with the monochrome
Hercules Graphic Adapter. After installing XF86_Mono and configure the
graphic, I stay in trouble as followed:

After typing "startx" I get the usual background grey and the cross of
the mouse. A lot of windows appears but in addition the output of the
messages appearing during the start of X appears over the whole screen,
independent of each windowborder. I'm able to enter some commands, but
instead of entering the commands in the xterm, I have to enter the
commands after a prompt sign anywhere at the screen. After some minutes
X breaks down with the message:

        Caught error 11, fatal error.
        Server aborted.

Thanks for any suggestions,

        Friedemann Rust

1. Fatal Server Error - Caught Signal 11

: What does it mean when X suddenly quits and gives the following message?

:       Fatal Server Error
:       Caught Signal 11. Server aborting

: Is there a way of determining what might be the cause?  Thanks!

:                               Hsin

I have been having exactly the same problem. I didn't see a reply to
this post, so if there was one, could you forward it to me?

Thanks.

--
Bruce G. Hearns | -_------------^\__/(\__/^------------_-

"It's thought   |                |:/^^^\:|
  that counts." |     C-A-R-P-E--(-)---(-)---D-I-E-M

2. KDE Control Module with KDevelop and QT Desginer?

3. Fatal Server Error Caught Signal 11

4. libstdc++-2.90.4 errors

5. XFree86: Caught signal 11. Server aborting

6. RealPlayer7 (linux/beta) with ESS1868 (pcm) on 3.4-stable

7. Fatal Server Error: 11

8. Help: Recall Last Command

9. Xfree 4.0.2 + NVIDIA = "Caught Server Error: 11"

10. XF86 problem:Fatal Server Err-Caught signal 11

11. what is this error? fatal error: sigsegv caught