Uninterruptible sleep Process

Post by Fabrice DUVA » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

after trying to make an "insmod ppa" with an error (port already in use
or somethink like that) i look my processes with "ps -aux" and i find an
old "insmod ppa" (i do it every day at midnight) but the STAT was "D"
with man ps : it is an 'uninterruptible sleep' process
effectivly i can't stop it (with kill -9 pid or -SIGKILL or all the kill
possible)
i stoped this processe with shutdown -r now
now my questions are

what is a "uninterruptible sleep"?
how can i stop this sort of process?

thank you in advance

        Fabrice

Post by Thomas Zaj » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> after trying to make an "insmod ppa" with an error (port already in use
> or somethink like that) i look my processes with "ps -aux" and i find an
> old "insmod ppa" (i do it every day at midnight) but the STAT was "D"
> with man ps : it is an 'uninterruptible sleep' process
> effectivly i can't stop it (with kill -9 pid or -SIGKILL or all the kill
> possible)

That's why it's called "uninterruptable". ;-)

Quote:> i stoped this processe with shutdown -r now

Which is the only way to get rid of it, unfortunately.

Quote:> now my questions are
> what is a "uninterruptible sleep"?

Usually, it's a process waiting for some I/O transaction to complete.
This is not a bad thing in general, unless, due to hardware problems
for example, it is _impossible_ for the transaction to ever complete.

In this case, the process just keeps waiting for a response from some
(faulty) hardware (that just _won't_ answer) forever and three days,
uninterruptable, unkillable, until you reboot.

In most cases, you'll notice some error message on shutdown, something
along the lines of "can't unmount /dev/blah, device or resource busy",
followed by a "/dev/blah was not unmounted cleanly, fsck forced" on the
next startup.

Quote:> how can i stop this sort of process?

Well, you sort of found out the answer yourself - you'll have to (dare
I say it?) reboot. ;-/

HTH,
Thomas
--
=-------------------------------------------------------------------------=

-  "It is not easy to cut through a human head with a hacksaw."  (M. C.)  -
=-------------------------------------------------------------------------=

Post by Lew Pitch » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> after trying to make an "insmod ppa" with an error (port already in use
>> or somethink like that) i look my processes with "ps -aux" and i find an
>> old "insmod ppa" (i do it every day at midnight) but the STAT was "D"
>> with man ps : it is an 'uninterruptible sleep' process
>> effectivly i can't stop it (with kill -9 pid or -SIGKILL or all the kill
>> possible)

[discussion snipped]

Quote:>> how can i stop this sort of process?

>Well, you sort of found out the answer yourself - you'll have to (dare
>I say it?) reboot. ;-/

Don't forget to repair the hardware problem that caused the
uninterruptable sleep, otherwise you'll probably run into it again
once you've completed your reboot.

Lew Pitcher
System Consultant
Toronto Dominion Financial Group

1. Uninterruptible sleeping process

Hi Gurus,
(TrueUnix4.0F question)
Submitted jobs go to Uninterruptible sleeping process. vmstate shows 98%
idle.
(The system was working fine before). What's wrong and how to make those
jobs
running properly?
Thanks
Tapas

"We owe a lot to the Indians, who taught us how to count, without
which no worthwhile scientific discovery could have been made."
                                           - Albert Einstein -
Tapas Kar, Ph. D
Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
Utah State University
Logan, UT 84322-0300

Tel: 435-797-7230
Fax: 435-797-3390

2. Help needed from Linux Wizard.....

3. How to kill a uninterruptible sleep process

4. mouse problems

5. Uninterruptible sleep Process and Reboot

6. should I buy an Alpha to put my oracle database on?

7. How to "kill" uninterruptible sleeping process?

8. BIOS call for real ram size

9. Uninterruptible sleeping process

10. Killing a process in "uninterruptible sleep"

11. killing processes in an uninterruptible sleep

12. Process in "uninterruptible sleep"?

13. Process falls into uninterruptible sleep