Remapping Keys (want delete key to delete etc!)

Remapping Keys (want delete key to delete etc!)

Post by Dennis Bare » Sun, 14 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I would have thought linux being Intel based that the keyboard mappings would
work "correctly".  I have 4 linux books and none help me in this.

I have created a ".input.rc" which gets my full screen bash shell working much
better with home, end and delete keys working (I was following a poor example
without any explanations).  This stuffs up or does not work correctly in
xwindows, xterm etc.

Question 1
~~~~~~~
Can I up the keyboard repeat rate from the current snails pace?

Question 2
~~~~~~~
Surely I can download something from somewhere or get information on the
mapping of keys to "normal" PC mappings.  Unless linux wants to only attract
unix people it would seem to me that it will need to correct this problem....

Thanks for any help,
Dennis

----------------------------

Melbourne, AUSTRALIA.

http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~dbareis/index.htm

 - Contains heaps of my own FREE software (OS/2, Windows, DOS & Linux):
   * PPWIZARD (HTML/REXX/generic preprocessor - #define, #include, #import, #if)
     Powerful macros, programmable, import SQL, auto tag examples, Text to HTML, template/style sheet design.
     You WILL NOT find an easier to use or more powerful preprocessor than PPWIZARD.
     Tested on OS/2, Windows, DOS & Linux (probably any Unix OK - if not help me make it so).
   * Icon for single OS/2 archive on following boot (also auto archive every 'x' days).
   * REXX "compiler" - Many options, compresses, encrypts (no one can see/modify source).
   * Program manipulation by Window or Switch list title (with wildcards)
   * Prevent a floppy in boot drive stopping boot off hard disk.
   * Heaps more...
 - Some source code and programmers links.  Regina Information (including porting from OS/2)
   * Pure REXX code for CRC16 & CRC32 routines.
 - Heaps of COMMENTED OS/2, HTML, Java and other links
----------------------------

Post by Aron Felix Gursk » Sun, 14 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I would have thought linux being Intel based that the keyboard mappings would
> work "correctly".  I have 4 linux books and none help me in this.

> I have created a ".input.rc" which gets my full screen bash shell working much
> better with home, end and delete keys working (I was following a poor example
> without any explanations).  This stuffs up or does not work correctly in
> xwindows, xterm etc.

> Question 1
> ~~~~~~~
> Can I up the keyboard repeat rate from the current snails pace?

> Question 2
> ~~~~~~~
> Surely I can download something from somewhere or get information on the
> mapping of keys to "normal" PC mappings.  Unless linux wants to only attract
> unix people it would seem to me that it will need to correct this problem....

Have a look at

        http://www.ibbnet.nl/~anne/keyboard.html

for answers to your second question.
--
        -- Aron

|     _   NB: Om du vil svare med e-post,     |"Sometimes the magic works,|
| __/\_\      m? du fjerne "spam-block."      | sometimes it doesn't."    |
|/\_\/_/      fr? adressa mi.                 |                           |
|\/_/\_\  NB: If you want to reply by e-mail, |    -- Chief Dan George,   |
|   \/_/      you have to remove "spam-block."|       in "Little Big Man" |
|             from my address.                |                           |

Remapping Keys (want delete key to delete etc!)

Post by Alan Cur » Sun, 14 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>Question 1
>~~~~~~~
>Can I up the keyboard repeat rate from the current snails pace?

On a text console:

kbdrate -r 30

for 30 repeats per second. (It's the max, and it's about right for me)

In X, you can change it with xset (according to the man page) but I've never
tried it and the man page is a little vague, so I can't help with the
details.

Quote:>Surely I can download something from somewhere or get information on the
>mapping of keys to "normal" PC mappings.  Unless linux wants to only attract
>unix people it would seem to me that it will need to correct this problem....

I'll believe in the Home and End keys when I find the "Home" character in the
ASCII table. If those keys don't work in a gtk text entry field, then you
have grounds to make a serious complaint, but xterm and the linux text
console are both ASCII terminal emulators, and your shell (whether bash or
tcsh or zsh) was at its core designed 25 years ago to be run on a tty. Tty,
in case you didn't know, is short for "teletype".

Think it over. If you can't deal with it, get yourself a graphical file
manager and editor to use your system with. Some unix users, like me, prefer
a pure ASCII interface. Others, like you, may be better off with something
else, and no one wants to deny you the choice.

The use of non-ascii keys in a tty-based program is a kludge, as anyone who's
used libtermcap can tell you. There are those who are trying to make it
better (with things like libreadline, which gives you your .inputrc), but
it's never going to be seamlessly correct across the board. Some of us just
don't think it's a problem, because we don't want to reach over to those
weird keys anyway.

Find an interface you don't hate and stick to it. Then go to the *.advocacy
groups and flame everyone who chose differently from you. You'll feel better :)
--
Alan Curry    |Declaration of   | _../\. ./\.._     ____.    ____.

--------------+save some time): |  \__/   \__/     \___:    \___:
 Linux,vim,trn,GPL,zsh,qmail,^H | "Screw you guys, I'm going home" -- Cartman

Remapping Keys (want delete key to delete etc!)

Post by Dennis Bare » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

}>
}> Hi,
}> Question 2
}> ~~~~~~~
}> Surely I can download something from somewhere or get information on the
}> mapping of keys to "normal" PC mappings.  Unless linux wants to only attract
}> unix people it would seem to me that it will need to correct this problem....
}
}Have a look at
}
}       http://www.ibbnet.nl/~anne/keyboard.html
}
}for answers to your second question.
}        -- Aron

Thanks, I've had a quick look at it and it looks good, good to see there are
other people who reguard the situation as ridiculous.

I'm adding this page to my Linux links!

Thanks
Dennis

----------------------------

Post by Miche » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> }>
> }> Hi,
> }> Question 2
> }> ~~~~~~~
> }> Surely I can download something from somewhere or get information on the
> }> mapping of keys to "normal" PC mappings.  Unless linux wants to only attract
> }> unix people it would seem to me that it will need to correct this problem....
> }
> }Have a look at
> }
> }       http://www.ibbnet.nl/~anne/keyboard.html
> }
> }for answers to your second question.
> }        -- Aron

> Thanks, I've had a quick look at it and it looks good, good to see there are
> other people who reguard the situation as ridiculous.

> I'm adding this page to my Linux links!

> Thanks
> Dennis

> ----------------------------

> Melbourne, AUSTRALIA.

> http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~dbareis/index.htm

>  - Contains heaps of my own FREE software (OS/2, Windows, DOS & Linux):
>    * PPWIZARD (HTML/REXX/generic preprocessor - #define, #include, #import, #if)
>      Powerful macros, programmable, import SQL, auto tag examples, Text to HTML, template/style sheet design.
>      You WILL NOT find an easier to use or more powerful preprocessor than PPWIZARD.
>      Tested on OS/2, Windows, DOS & Linux (probably any Unix OK - if not help me make it so).
>    * Icon for single OS/2 archive on following boot (also auto archive every 'x' days).
>    * REXX "compiler" - Many options, compresses, encrypts (no one can see/modify source).
>    * Program manipulation by Window or Switch list title (with wildcards)
>    * Prevent a floppy in boot drive stopping boot off hard disk.
>    * Heaps more...
>  - Some source code and programmers links.  Regina Information (including porting from OS/2)
>    * Pure REXX code for CRC16 & CRC32 routines.
>  - Heaps of COMMENTED OS/2, HTML, Java and other links
> ----------------------------

check my homepage, I have an updated version of xkeycaps that include a couple of
extra keyboards. The link to the original site is in the source code. I will add the
link to his site when I update my website in the next few weeks.

For those who need dead keys you might want to take a look at my Linux page on keyboards.
--
Tired of Windows' rebootive multitasking?
then try Linux's preemptive multitasking

1. How to make Delete key delete forward?

I've read through every FAQ I can find, every man page that seems like it
might be applicable, and tried everything I can think of based on my Linux
experience, but I still can't find a way to make the 'Delete' key on my
Ultra 5 delete forward instead of duplicating the effects of 'Backspace' and
'Ctrl-h'. I'm beginning to wonder if this is even possible, though surely it
must be? Perhaps I'm blind or very dense and the answer is staring me right
in the face and I'm failing to recognize it, but could somebody please offer
a specific suggestion? (i.e. not something like "use xmodmap" -- I've tried
that with numerous variations in arguments -- but xmodmap with the specific
keycodes and/or keysyms that are needed)

This is the last remaining annoyance with my Sun keyboard, and I'd really
like to lay it to rest since I normally use 'delete-forward' frequently when
editing a command line.

Thanks in advance!

Larry

2. MP3 and Ogg

3. getting Delete key to DELETE on RS6000

4. test

5. How to (setq delete-key-deletes-forward t) in syscons?

6. console on serial port

7. how can my delete key delete?

8. SuSE 7.0 on Wallstreet Powerbook

9. How Do I Get Delete Key to delete?

10. delete key = delete-next-char?

11. newbie question: backspace key in Netscape is acting like the delete key

12. X11: Backspace key same as delete key? Solution?

13. backspace key is behaving like a delete key