Recompile unresolved symbols

Post by Ron Le Blan » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I recompiled the kernel to optimize it for my
installation. Everything appeared to go well. When
I booted the new kernel I received the following
error:

depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.2.14-12rpl /emu10k1.o

It is the only unresolved symbol(s). In the
modules directory I find emu10k1.o listed as being
dependent on soundcore.o  Soundcore.o does exist
and
is in the modules directory.

Does anyone have an idea 1) why this unresolved
symbol, 2) how to "fix" it.

Oh, sound works just fine. No other anomolies seem
to be present because of the unresolved symbol. I
guess I could just ignore the message but I
would prefer to find the problem.

Thanks!

--
Ron Le Blanc

http://members.mint.net/rleblanc

Post by C Sanjayan Rosenmun » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I recompiled the kernel to optimize it for my installation.
> Everything appeared to go well. When I booted the new kernel I
> received the following
> error:

> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.14-12rpl
> /emu10k1.o

> It is the only unresolved symbol(s). In the modules directory I find
> emu10k1.o listed as being dependent on soundcore.o  Soundcore.o does
> exist and
> is in the modules directory.

> Does anyone have an idea 1) why this unresolved symbol, 2) how to
> "fix" it.

> Oh, sound works just fine. No other anomolies seem to be present
> because of the unresolved symbol. I guess I could just ignore the
> message but I
> would prefer to find the problem.

> Thanks!

> --
> Ron Le Blanc

> http://members.mint.net/rleblanc

When you rebuilt the kernel, did you "make modules" and "make
modules_install"?
If not, try that.
--
Sanjay

Windows has detected that a gnat has farted near your computer.
                            Press any key to reboot.

Recompile unresolved symbols

Yep. Did all that.

--
Ron Le Blanc

http://members.mint.net/rleblanc

Recompile unresolved symbols

Post by ne.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>Yep. Did all that.

But did you delete/backup the old modules directory
before oing a make modules modules_install???

>> > I recompiled the kernel to optimize it for my installation.
>> > Everything appeared to go well. When I booted the new kernel I
>> > received the following
>> > error:

>> > depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.14-12rpl
>> > /emu10k1.o

>> > It is the only unresolved symbol(s). In the modules directory I find
>> > emu10k1.o listed as being dependent on soundcore.o  Soundcore.o does
>> > exist and
>> > is in the modules directory.

>> > Does anyone have an idea 1) why this unresolved symbol, 2) how to
>> > "fix" it.

>> > Oh, sound works just fine. No other anomolies seem to be present
>> > because of the unresolved symbol. I guess I could just ignore the
>> > message but I
>> > would prefer to find the problem.

>> > Thanks!

>> > --
>> > Ron Le Blanc

>> > http://members.mint.net/rleblanc

>> When you rebuilt the kernel, did you "make modules" and "make
>> modules_install"?
>> If not, try that.
>> --
>> Sanjay

>> Windows has detected that a gnat has farted near your computer.
>>                             Press any key to reboot.

>--
>Ron Le Blanc

>http://members.mint.net/rleblanc

--
Registered Linux User # 125653
Only those who leisurely approach that which the masses are busy about

Recompile unresolved symbols

Post by Ron Le Blan » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

No, I renamed the recompiled kernel, a la blahblah2.2.14-12rpl.

This created an entirely separate and distinct set of modules, as per both
the kernel howto and the RH howto. There were no errors during the compile,
link, etc.

> >Yep. Did all that.
> But did you delete/backup the old modules directory
> before oing a make modules modules_install???

> >> When you rebuilt the kernel, did you "make modules" and "make
> >> modules_install"?
> >> If not, try that.
> >> --
> >> Sanjay

> >> Windows has detected that a gnat has farted near your computer.
> >>                             Press any key to reboot.

> >--
> >Ron Le Blanc

> >http://members.mint.net/rleblanc

> --
> Registered Linux User # 125653
> Only those who leisurely approach that which the masses are busy about
> can be busy about that which the masses take leisurely.
>                 -- Lao Tsu
>   9:18am  up  8:25,  5 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

--
Ron Le Blanc

http://members.mint.net/rleblanc

1. recompiling kernel keep getting unresolved symbols

I keep getting unresolved symbols in the ip_masq stuff as well as now in the
slip.o file. I am using a RH5.2 installation. I recently installed the
kernel-2.0.36-3.rpm, but this doesn't seemed to have helped, in fact, if
anything, it made matters worse. Can someone point me to a reliable set of
source files so that I can finally get the ip_masquerading to work on the
machine?

Ciao, Neil

2. TCP socket v. Shared memory

3. unresolved symbol(s) after recompiled kernel !

4. Linux Consulting-Bay Area, Santa Clara

5. unresolved symbols in modules after kernel recompile

6. DeCSS and Digital Television/DTCP

7. unresolved symbols after kernel recompile

8. AnotherLevel

9. unresolved symbols in modules after kernel recompile

10. Ver. 2.0.0 recompile on boot unresolved symbols errors

11. recompile of kernel leads to unresolved modules ???

12. unresolved dependencies after recompiling kernel

13. Linux "unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.0.29..."