Dial up Server? 1024th LILO cyclinder?

Post by The Fullington' » Tue, 16 Jan 2001 13:23:29

First question.... I would like to know where to start reading for help on
how to set up a dial up server. It will run Red Hat 7.0, 3com inet
connection, US Robotics external modem.

Another question.... I have had success in getting a Compaq 233 MHz laptop
working with the linmodem and just installed RH on a Gateway 600Mhz. Both
machines run windoz and RH 7.0. The problem is with the Gateway and my 7 gig
partition being past 1024th cylinder. Has LILO been reworked to get past
this?

My challenge is to use the machine at work for a dial up server from home to
access the net.

--

Dan

Dial up Server? 1024th LILO cyclinder?

Post by E J » Wed, 17 Jan 2001 13:39:40

http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/ISP-Setup-RedHat.html
The new lilo overcomes the 1024th cylinder, but I never tested it.
My /boot partition is in the beginning of my harddisk.

> First question.... I would like to know where to start reading for help on
> how to set up a dial up server. It will run Red Hat 7.0, 3com inet
> connection, US Robotics external modem.

> Another question.... I have had success in getting a Compaq 233 MHz laptop
> working with the linmodem and just installed RH on a Gateway 600Mhz. Both
> machines run windoz and RH 7.0. The problem is with the Gateway and my 7 gig
> partition being past 1024th cylinder. Has LILO been reworked to get past
> this?

> My challenge is to use the machine at work for a dial up server from home to
> access the net.

> --

> Dan

1. 2.3 -> 2.7 via Dial-up (Re: CVS over 'dropping' dial-ups)

You are better off borrowing/buying/stealing a CD and loading a fresh 2.7
install.
From what I've heard, there are issues with upgrading via CVS.  Plus, it's
_SLOW_.
Trust me. If you don't have the cash (US $30, I believe) you could probably
ask
somebody to copy their 2.7 CD for you (hint,hint).  Of course, buying the CD
makes
OBSD 2.8 and higher a possibility, which is a Good Thing.

Good luck.

2. Gomen Nasai! Profound Apologies!

3. LILO, FreeBSD, and >1024th Cylinder

4. Upgrade Video Driver on RedHat7.2-Please help!

5. Linux, W98, Lilo & 1024th Cylinder Problems, Please Reccommend Software Also

6. Rename() function

7. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

8. How do I stop using MD5 passwd hashing in /etc/shadow

9. PPP problems with multiport dial-in/dial-out server

10. how to dial up to CSICO dial in server?

11. Dial-up / Dial-In Linux Server to Windows Network for Mobile Users

12. Dial In and Dial Out Server on same Modem

13. Linux as dial-up ppp server for Win95 dial-up problem