upgrading kernel to 2.2.10 failed.

Post by Yoshikawa, Kiyosh » Wed, 21 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Help needed to rebuild the kernel.  My question is long but may be very
interesting.  I am new to Linux and do not know what exactly I am doing.  So
please read through and give me a good advise.

A)I downloaded the kernel-2.2.8 from a mirror site into the /usr/src
directry. I have the kernel 2.2.5 and could use the available pathes only.
However, I got curious and try to experiment re-building a new kernel.  The
sequence of commands I used is below:

1)cd /usr/src
2)rm linux
3)tar xzpvf linux-2.2.8.tar.gz
4)mv linux linux-2.2.8
5)ln -s linux-2.2.8 linux
6)cd /usr/src/linux
7)make mrproper
8)make menu_config
9)make dep
10)make clean
11)make zImage
12)make modules
13)make modules_install
14)cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.8
15)cd /boot
16)mv System.map System.map-2.2.5
17)ln -s System.map-2.2.8 System.map

B)I changed the content of /etc/lilo.conf and currently it looks like below:

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.8
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hdb1
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.5-15.img
        read-only
other=/dev/hda1
        label=dos
        table=/dev/hda

C)After changing the lilo.conf, I did /sbin/lilo, then, rebooted the system.
The system looked rebooted OK, however, there are some "failed" massage in
the booting message, i.e. dmesg.  I read somewhere that I need to update
"initrd".  I used the command "mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.2.8.img 2.2.8".
However, error message like "/dev/loop0 is not a block device and do not
have access".  I figured from mam page that "mkinitrd" needs /dev/loop0.  Is
there anything wrong with what I did.  Can upu please give me step by step
instruction of what I need to do to upgrade the kernel from 2.2.5-15 to
2.2.8?

Thank you very much in advance.

Yoshikawa, Kiyoshi
Yokohama, Japan