Redhat 4.0 and NE2000

Post by Ben Payn » Sun, 19 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I recently updated to redhat 4.0 from 2.1 and it doesn't recognize my
NE200 card, nothing as far a hardware goes changed on either machine,
and win 95 and NT have no problem finding them.  what happened, any
ideas?  the ne2000 support is in the kernel.

I'm also getting errors from some of the modules after re compling the
kernel.  It says "Unresolved symbols in module "...  I've read the docs
and they've been little help for this problem.

-> Ben

Redhat 4.0 and NE2000

Post by Mik » Sat, 25 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Ben,
I too have had the same problem.  I have a copy of the Red Hat Linux Library
CD and have looked at past News group responses to this same problem.
Evidently, it has never been fixed.  The best I can get from looking
at what others have done is to change the IO and Interrupts, using
trial and error, until it is corrected.  Two others reported success
with
300
int 3

and
320
int 3

I've tried both and neither work for me.  Generally, they just recommend
going out and buying a new card.  All my cards work under 1.2.13 Linux
and Win95 but not under Linux 4.0.
Mike

Quote:

>I recently updated to redhat 4.0 from 2.1 and it doesn't recognize my
>NE200 card, nothing as far a hardware goes changed on either machine,
>and win 95 and NT have no problem finding them.  what happened, any
>ideas?  the ne2000 support is in the kernel.

>I'm also getting errors from some of the modules after re compling the
>kernel.  It says "Unresolved symbols in module "...  I've read the docs
>and they've been little help for this problem.

>-> Ben

Redhat 4.0 and NE2000

Post by Tim Barn » Tue, 28 Jan 1997 04:00:00

: Ben,
: I too have had the same problem.  I have a copy of the Red Hat Linux Library
: CD and have looked at past News group responses to this same problem.
: Evidently, it has never been fixed.  The best I can get from looking
: at what others have done is to change the IO and Interrupts, using
: trial and error, until it is corrected.  Two others reported success
: with
: 300
: int 3

: and
: 320
: int 3

: I've tried both and neither work for me.  Generally, they just recommend
: going out and buying a new card.  All my cards work under 1.2.13 Linux
: and Win95 but not under Linux 4.0.
: Mike

: >
: >I recently updated to redhat 4.0 from 2.1 and it doesn't recognize my
: >NE200 card, nothing as far a hardware goes changed on either machine,
: >and win 95 and NT have no problem finding them.  what happened, any
: >ideas?  the ne2000 support is in the kernel.
: >
: >I'm also getting errors from some of the modules after re compling the
: >kernel.  It says "Unresolved symbols in module "...  I've read the docs
: >and they've been little help for this problem.
: >
: >-> Ben

Doh! I've just bought an NE2000 compat, in order to upgrade from a really
old Slackware. Anyway, have you tried telling the kernel where to look?
Boot the kernel with ether=IRQ,0xBASEADDR,0,0,eth0 . I've got mine at
ether=10,0x300,0,0,eth0, fine with Slackware 2.0.
cheers,
--
Tim Barnes                              |   Dept. of Mathematics,

http://holly.maths.bris.ac.uk/~BarnesT  |   Bristol, U.K.
Tel: +44 (0)117 928 7780                |   BS8 1TW

Redhat 4.0 and NE2000

Post by John C. Grig » Tue, 28 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> : Ben,
> : I too have had the same problem.  I have a copy of the Red Hat Linux Library
> : CD and have looked at past News group responses to this same problem.
> : Evidently, it has never been fixed.  The best I can get from looking
> : at what others have done is to change the IO and Interrupts, using
> : trial and error, until it is corrected.  Two others reported success
> : with
> : 300
> : int 3

> : and
> : 320
> : int 3

> : I've tried both and neither work for me.  Generally, they just recommend
> : going out and buying a new card.  All my cards work under 1.2.13 Linux
> : and Win95 but not under Linux 4.0.
> : Mike

> : >
> : >I recently updated to redhat 4.0 from 2.1 and it doesn't recognize my
> : >NE200 card, nothing as far a hardware goes changed on either machine,
> : >and win 95 and NT have no problem finding them.  what happened, any
> : >ideas?  the ne2000 support is in the kernel.
> : >
> : >I'm also getting errors from some of the modules after re compling the
> : >kernel.  It says "Unresolved symbols in module "...  I've read the docs
> : >and they've been little help for this problem.
> : >
> : >-> Ben

> Doh! I've just bought an NE2000 compat, in order to upgrade from a really
> old Slackware. Anyway, have you tried telling the kernel where to look?
> Boot the kernel with ether=IRQ,0xBASEADDR,0,0,eth0 . I've got mine at
> ether=10,0x300,0,0,eth0, fine with Slackware 2.0.
> cheers,
> --
> Tim Barnes                              |   Dept. of Mathematics,

> http://holly.maths.bris.ac.uk/~BarnesT  |   Bristol, U.K.
> Tel: +44 (0)117 928 7780                |   BS8 1TW

I had a similar problem - my NE2000 clone PnP card is set up for IRQ 10
under Windoze95 manually in order to get some of the network drivers to
see it (mainly under DOS sessions for games).  The card on its own wants
IRQ 12, which is where it shows up under Linux, so I have the same card
manually configured for IRQ 10 under Windoze95 and automagically (more
like autotragically if you ask me) configured for IRQ 12 under Linux (IRQ
10 under Linux seems to be occupied by the IDE interface on my GUS PnP).
THis seems to work.  Now if only I could get WinNT going... - it seems to
be seeing the GUS as a network card - hopefully Gravis' NT drivers
(promised for this spring) will help.

Hope this is of use...

Cheers,

        John
--

"I have an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one."

1. 2 NE2000 ethernet cards with REDHAT 4.0

I am having difficulties in trying to get two ethernet cards to work in
my Linux box using Redhat Linux 4.0 with a kernel verion of 2.0.18.  I
have an AMD486DX4-120 with 1.2 GB and 20MB RAM.

I am trying to connect my linux box as a gateway for my other computers
at home.  I have 2 Linksys ethernet cards which are NE2000 compatible.
I can confirm that the cards are alright and working fine since I got it
to work in Win95 and Win NT.

I have the ethernet cards configured as follows:

eth0
IRQ: 10
BASE: 0x300

eth1
IRQ: 9
BASE: 0x320

My linux setup can probe for the first (eth0) card but does not
recognize the second (eth1) card.  But initializes and uses the first
one.

Ive tried setting up the second card thought the Control Panel in the X
environment.  I have also tried passing "linux ether=10,0x300,eth0
9,0x320,eth1" at bootup.  I have also tried adding 'append ="ether =
10,0x300,eth0 9,0x320,eth1" in the /etc/lilo.conf but this did not work
either.

2. bug with floppy drive

3. NE2000+ and RedHat 4.0

4. 2.0.35 -- autoconf.h ??

5. "LARP" Port 91?

6. Ethernet woes with Redhat 4.0 (NE2000, SMC EtherPower)

7. CD-ROM Drive compatible with both Mac & Sun Sparc ELC ?

8. -= NT 4.0 Server for RedHat 4.0 =-

9. Matrox Mystique ands X.

10. Cheap NE2000 and Red Hat 4.0: My Top Ten mistakes

11. adding 2d NE2000 card under Red Hat 4.0

12. adding 2d NE2000 card under Red Hat 4.0 (fwd)