LILO and Compaq Proliant 5000

Post by Michael Walli » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello all....I am trying to install (over FTP) Redhat 6.0 on a spare
Compaq Proliant 500 I have here at work. The whole install process
goes fine, up to the point where you would install the boot loader.
The boot loader will not install. I even made a boot disk for the
system (the one install asks you if you want to create it) and that
won' t boot the system. I get a boot sector error. The server is
configured with a SMART-2/P raid controller with three 18GB dirves
configured RAID-5 with two logical drives. The first logical drive is
about 2GB and the second is about 34GB (I did this because I remember
that LILO has problems with anything over 1024 cylinders). Is there
some problem with writing to the boot record on a RAID? Any other OS
I've put on this server works fine so I know it's not the hardware
causing the problem, it must be Linux, right? I'm by no means a Linux
expert, but I have never had trouble like this before, all I want to
do is build my Linux server and get * (it will be a Half-Life and
Quake2 server, can't wait). Feel free to reply over email. TIA

LILO and Compaq Proliant 5000

Post by Michael Walli » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Nevermind that post I just did. I just found a doc that says that you
cannot install the root partition on a raid device. <DOH!>