IDE probing hangs during boot

Post by Felix Bra » Sun, 12 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hello,
~~~~~~
recently I am experiencing trouble while trying to boot my laptop running
linux (2.0.33). Most times Linux hangs just after recognizing mt hard disk.
This happens after printing either drive information

Quote:> hda: ST9235AG, 199MB w/32kB Cache, CHS=983/13/32

or information about the controller

Quote:> ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14

I am not aware of any changes in the setup that might have caused the
problem; the system has been running normally for a few months now. I
suspect that some timeout in the probing procedure causes linux to hang.
I can work around this problem by adding hda=noprobe to the bootprompt.
Everything seems to be working fine after booting with noprobe.

1. Is it safe to boot with noprobe or will this cause some permanent damage
in the long run?
2. Is this behaviour a symptom of a hardware problem on a deeper level that
might cause havoc somewhere down the road?
3. Is there a way to fix this problem permanently?

A related problem seems to be that I keep receiving the following message
from time to time when operating on battery power:

Quote:> hda: unexpected_intr: status=0x80 { Busy }
> hda: status timeout: status=0x80 { Busy }
> hda: drive not ready for command
> ide0: reset: success

Questions 2 and 3 as above. :-)

Bye and TIA ... Felix

1. RH5.2 - Linux Boot Floppy Hangs at IDE probe?

Having trouble installing linux and hope someone here can help.

I have a Pentium 233MMX with 2 Hard disks [8gig and 3gig, which I was going
to install linux on], and 2 cd-rom drives as well as a SCSI card with a
scanner connected.  This machine is currently running windows98.  The
configuration after the linux install would be as follows:

hda - 8gig fat32 for windows/dos
hdb - various sized partitions reserved for linux
hdc - CDROM - HP CD-Writer+ 7200 [atapi]
hdd - CDROM - Toshiba 24x [atapi]

The RedHat boot floppy used to begin the installation will hang just after
announcing the existance of ide0 and ide1 [both announced as BM-DMA], but
nothing appears after that.  I am expecting to see information for hda, hdb,
and the other drives but the boot goes nowhere nere that point.

Some things I've tried:

Made sure that the CMOS had the drive information from the BIOS by turning
off "Auto" for the ide detection and just entered the cyl,head,sector
information into the standard cmos setup.

used the boot arguments =>  boot: linux hda=977,255,63 hdb=787,128,63
hdc=cdrom hdd=cdrom

Something I've NOT tried:

I have not removed the SCSI card to see if that is a conflict.  It's a
possibility but I didn't think so.

Any help would be appreciated.  I've been away from linux for about 4 years
[last kernel I ran was 1.1.54] but would like to get it set up again.

Blake
[remove the spam stuff if you wanna reply with email]

2. Solaris 2.3: printer problem

3. 2.5.6-pre3 boot hangs in ide probing

4. Want to Try Linux

5. 4.7 install hangs (CD boot hangs when probing devices)

6. Where can I find binutils >= 2.9.5.0.12?

7. IDE problem: 2.5.10 compiles but hangs during boot

8. How to parse and write a .XXrc file?

9. Mandrake 8.0 hangs during install - scsi probing?

10. IDE errors during boot with some ¨ide.2.2.12.*.patch.gz¨

11. "auto-probe" during boot question

12. Linux hangs while probing secondary IDE port

13. "auto-probe" during boot question