Which Linux

Post by Joseph Round » Sun, 08 Feb 1998 04:00:00

  I am new to Linux and I am about to install linux on a computer to
learn it. Which linux should I install does any body have any
recommendations on which one.
-Joseph Rounds

Which Linux

Post by JMckin20 » Mon, 09 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I'm also a newbie.  I got Redhat's 5.0 distribution.  If I had to do it over
again I would try Redhat's 4.2 distribution or Slackware.  I haven't been
around for long, but my impression is that alot of people are having trouble
with the 5.0 distribution.

Quote:>  I am new to Linux and I am about to install linux on a computer to
>learn it. Which linux should I install does any body have any
>recommendations on which one.
>-Joseph Rounds

Which Linux

Post by Frank Mille » Mon, 09 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>  I am new to Linux and I am about to install linux on a computer to
>learn it. Which linux should I install does any body have any
>recommendations on which one.
>-Joseph Rounds

Well Joe,
    Which dist. you want is hard to say. I see JMckin2048 does not suggest
RH 5.0.
First I suggest you buy the CD if you can afford it, it makes it so much
easier, but you can download most of the dist.'s off the web if you want.
You can find the Slackware Dist. arround for $20 or less, I just got Red Hat
5.0 for $39, It comes with a small install manual, worthless E-Mail support,
A CD and a boot floppy.
And there are others, Dubian is getting a lot of use lately.
I like Red Hat 5.0 for right out of the box functionality. Keep in mind that
ALL Linux dist.'s need setting up, Its not like windows. At first its very
slow going.
NOTES:
You can read about Linux for the rest of your life with all the info on the
web.
Most Linux users have at least one 43 ton book. ( I suggest looking for one
you can understand in a BIG book store).
You can get some help on most of the IRC nets if you can deal with the ppl
on the Linux channels.

Hope this helps
    frankm

Which Linux

Post by Robert Harri » Mon, 09 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Redhat is my top pick ..
i got redhat and fell in love with the OS.

Rob Harris

>   I am new to Linux and I am about to install linux on a computer to
> learn it. Which linux should I install does any body have any
> recommendations on which one.
> -Joseph Rounds

Which Linux

Post by Howard M. Rensi » Tue, 10 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I recomend 'Discover Linux' by Steve Oualline (an IDG book). GREAT newbee
book and comes with Linux RH 4.2, all for $20. Even if you have RH 5 and
don't need the CD in the back, the book alone is worth the price.
            Howard

--

3405 Shady Ln.          Researching RENSIN & RENZIN genealogy.
Glenwood,MD.,21738

Which Linux

Post by bossho.. » Tue, 10 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Others may disagree with me, but here's my 2 cents worth -

I tried Red Hat 4.2 and thought it was ok - had a little trouble with
the display, but still not too bad.

Tried Slackware this weekend - never could get it to install properly
and therefore never got it up and running.

I tried Caldera OpenLinux and really like it.  It probed my computer
and found all the right hardware and configured itself almost
perfectly.  All I had to do was tweak the video card & monitor
settings a little and had it up and running in a couple of hours.

I'd be interested in hearing others' opinion of Caldera, though.  I
really haven't heard much about it.

Alan

On Sat, 07 Feb 1998 16:12:40 -0500, Joseph Rounds

>  I am new to Linux and I am about to install linux on a computer to
>learn it. Which linux should I install does any body have any
>recommendations on which one.
>-Joseph Rounds

Which Linux

Post by Craig Duniga » Tue, 10 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Get one of those "43-ton books" Frank talks about in another post, then
check out Linux Mall on the Web.  I got _five_ distributions on CD from
them for $10.  No docs, tho', which is why you should have the book
first.

>   I am new to Linux and I am about to install linux on a computer to
> learn it. Which linux should I install does any body have any
> recommendations on which one.
> -Joseph Rounds

Which Linux

Post by Romain Berrendonne » Wed, 11 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> Get one of those "43-ton books" Frank talks about in another post, then
> check out Linux Mall on the Web.  I got _five_ distributions on CD from
> them for $10.  No docs, tho', which is why you should have the book
> first.

> >   I am new to Linux and I am about to install linux on a computer to
> > learn it. Which linux should I install does any body have any
> > recommendations on which one.
> > -Joseph Rounds

I think that the Redhat is more convenient for beginners thank to rpms.
A comprehensive documentation of the linux documentation project is
_freely_  avaliable on several ftp sites. Any indication can found on :

 http://www.hvt.fzk.de/HVT-HT/Src/Linux-Documentation-Project01.html

hope this will be usefull,

Romain

Which Linux

Post by Jim » Fri, 13 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>   I am new to Linux and I am about to install linux on a computer to
> learn it. Which linux should I install does any body have any
> recommendations on which one.
> -Joseph Rounds

I just downloaded and installed Redhat 5.0.  Installation was easy, pretty
much self configured. Now all I have to do is learn how to use Linux.

Jim