Sharing swap partitions....

Post by laserne » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 10:46:15

I have a machine with three SCSI Hard drives and have three different
Linux distros installed. Is there a way to share the swap partion
between the different OSs?
It was quite a pain to set up all three of them, RH 7.2 installation
routine reformats any existing swap partition by default. ML 8.1 does
not....
TIA...

Sharing swap partitions....

Post by Dave Uhrin » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 13:13:51

> I have a machine with three SCSI Hard drives and have three different
> Linux distros installed. Is there a way to share the swap partion
> between the different OSs?
> It was quite a pain to set up all three of them, RH 7.2 installation
> routine reformats any existing swap partition by default. ML 8.1 does
> not....
> TIA...

Just do not set up a swap partition for the distro installs after the
first.  Use the /dev/sd? swap partition from your first install.

You will also get better VM performance with the other distros since
the swap partition is on another spindle.

Sharing swap partitions....

Post by Tim Wunde » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 22:56:37

> I have a machine with three SCSI Hard drives and have three different
> Linux distros installed. Is there a way to share the swap partion
> between the different OSs?
> It was quite a pain to set up all three of them, RH 7.2 installation
> routine reformats any existing swap partition by default. ML 8.1 does
> not....
> TIA...

Ummm...
I don't understand the question. swap is swap is swap, there's nothing
special about a swap partition that requires that it be different for
each O/S.

HTH,
Tim

1. How to share swap partition with windows?

Sorry if I post this article to a wrong group. But :

        Where can I find the MINI-FAQ to share swap space with Windows?

I've get this file from comp.os.linux.announcement. But I lost it. please repos
or tell me where to get it.

Thanks.

2. Looking for FMLI replacement

3. Win95 shares SWAP partition with Linux?

4. problem with coreadm

5. Sharing swap partitions Slackware/RedHat?

6. X won't start

7. Win95 shares SWAP partition with Linux?

8. bad sectors

9. Sharing swap partitions between 5.0 and 5.0A?

10. Sharing swap partition with OS/2

11. Shared swap partition?

12. Sharing swap partition between Linux and NT

13. Sharing swap partition with Windows