write LILO to mbr?

Post by TelTe » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Near the end of my RH 5.2 install, the setup program gave me a choice
of putting LILO in the mbr, or putting it in /boot, which is my first
partition (primary).  I chose the latter, and the system won't boot
except with a boot floppy.  Is there a simple way of moving LILO to
the mbr - or is that necessary (ie, why give me the choice if option 2
is not workable?!).

I tried the command lilo with no parameters;  it took a few seconds
and returned to the prompt with no message returned (either completion
or error) - so I'd assume that didsomething - but I still can't boot
from the HDD.  Any suggestions?
to reply by email, please remove the "zz" from the address.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

write LILO to mbr?

Post by Villy Kru » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000 06:21:00 GMT,

Quote:>Near the end of my RH 5.2 install, the setup program gave me a choice
>of putting LILO in the mbr, or putting it in /boot, which is my first
>partition (primary).  I chose the latter, and the system won't boot
>except with a boot floppy.  Is there a simple way of moving LILO to
>the mbr - or is that necessary (ie, why give me the choice if option 2
>is not workable?!).

It is workable if:
  - You have a working dos loader in MBR
  - Your /boot partition is the (only) active partition.  Meaning that
    if you have a dos partition this partition should NOT be active.

It should also work if you install Boot-magic into MBR.

Villy

1. Lilo won't write to mbr!

After writing lilo to the mbr, my system just happily boots up to
windows 98 w/o a care in the world as if nothing has changed.  No
Lilo. No prompts. Just windows. Please help.

Point A:
1) I used partition magic pro 7 to partition off a little portion of
my windows 98 drive for linux and half meg for swap.

2) Installed Mandrake 8.2 w/o a hitch in "regular" mode.  Couldn't get
linux booting at all.  Just windows.

3) Re-installed Mandrake 8.2 w/o hitch in "expert" mode.  Found myself
with a boot floppy now.  Opted to install lilo in /hdb5 (my linux
partition).

4) Installed boot magic.  Strangely, it sees my linux partition now
w/o having to go into detailed mode.  Is this because I installed lilo
on my linux partition?

5) Rebooted and selected linux from boot magic menu.  Got a screen
scrolling with 1's and 0's non-stop.

6) Disabled boot magic.  Booted mandrake from boot disk.

   Changed boot=/dev/hda in /etc/lilo.conf

   Confirmed that lba32 was there.

   ran /sbin/lilo -v and confirmed no errors.

7) Rebooted.. and found myself directly back to windows.

8) Repeated above disabling virus checking in bios with same results.

Point B:  Where I am now.  Can anyone help me get my dual boot
windows/linux box going?  Booting from floppy can be a pain but I'm
happy to report that I haven't clobbered anything yet.

Once this install is ironed out, I'll take the plunge and try to
install on my inspiron 8100 with radeon 7500 and uxga monitor.

Dante

2. bash timestamp command history

3. HELP: wrote Lilo to Win NT MBR, can't find my NT now ...

4. NYC LOCAL: Thursday 21 November 2002 UNIGROUP: Carl Sayres on End to End Java Wireless Applications

5. LILO installation problem, writing to MBR

6. cpqphp 66/100/133MHz PCI-X support for 2.5.65

7. lilo can't write mbr, HATE using loadlin

8. JDK and KDE

9. Cannot get LILO to write to MBR

10. lilo writes bogus MBR on HP Vectra

11. Will SCANDISK write over LILO (in MBR)

12. RH 5.2 - Maxtor - LILO - MBR - failure to write

13. SUMMARY: LILO on 3rd disk (was LILO keeps trashing mbr)