Linux Install Problems: Abit KR7A-RAID, Dual boot, Init problems

Linux Install Problems: Abit KR7A-RAID, Dual boot, Init problems

Post by ejm » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 09:40:36

I'm trying to install Linux for the first time, so I apologize if these
questions are dumb.  I have a Windows XP system on a Abit KR7A-RAID
motherboard with two IBM drives in RAID 0 config.  I've left about 5gigs of
unformatted but partitioned space on the array for the Linux installation.
Whenever I boot from either the RedHat 7.2 or Mandrake 8.1 CDs I immediately
get a Kernel panic and everything locks up (immediately meaning just after I
choose to install the OS).  There is a bunch address messages and other
stuff going on on the screen, but the only other error message I could
reasonably determine was:

Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 0008E000

I'm assuming that the RAID configuration or some part of the bios/chipset is
causing the problem, but also
understand that it might be something related to the dual boot or how I have
things partitioned, even though I never get to a point where it asks me
where I'd like to put the installation.  I've searched the web and Abit
board for clues (and the one suggestion I saw to turn off Advanced Chipset
performance doesn't make sense with this bios, as far as I can tell), but
I'm at a loss as to where to begin to start this installation.  Does anyone
have any suggestions who has installed this with ?  Will this kind of dual
boot/RAID setup normally work?  Am I missing something in my bios (the only
change I've made for this installtion is to turn off Plug-N-Play OS)?  Does
this sound like a RAID problem or do you think I've set up the partitions
incorrectly (the partition I expect to put Linux on is the second one, not
the active one, but since I don't even get to a screen ).

Thanks for any help.

EJM

Linux Install Problems: Abit KR7A-RAID, Dual boot, Init problems

Post by ejm » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 09:44:10

Please ignore this message as I posted this twice by mistake.

EJM

Quote:> I'm trying to install Linux for the first time, so I apologize if these
> questions are dumb.  I have a Windows XP system on a Abit KR7A-RAID
> motherboard with two IBM drives in RAID 0 config.  I've left about 5gigs
of
> unformatted but partitioned space on the array for the Linux installation.
> Whenever I boot from either the RedHat 7.2 or Mandrake 8.1 CDs I
immediately
> get a Kernel panic and everything locks up (immediately meaning just after
> choose to install the OS).  There is a bunch address messages and other
> stuff going on on the screen, but the only other error message I could
> reasonably determine was:

> Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 0008E000

> I'm assuming that the RAID configuration or some part of the bios/chipset
is
> causing the problem, but also
> understand that it might be something related to the dual boot or how I
have
> things partitioned, even though I never get to a point where it asks me
> where I'd like to put the installation.  I've searched the web and Abit
> board for clues (and the one suggestion I saw to turn off Advanced Chipset
> performance doesn't make sense with this bios, as far as I can tell), but
> I'm at a loss as to where to begin to start this installation.  Does
anyone
> have any suggestions who has installed this with ?  Will this kind of dual
> boot/RAID setup normally work?  Am I missing something in my bios (the
only
> change I've made for this installtion is to turn off Plug-N-Play OS)?
Does
> this sound like a RAID problem or do you think I've set up the partitions
> incorrectly (the partition I expect to put Linux on is the second one, not
> the active one, but since I don't even get to a screen ).

> Thanks for any help.

> EJM

Linux Install Problems: Abit KR7A-RAID, Dual boot, Init problems

Post by alphaco » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 10:34:44

It's a RAID problem. Linux doesn't recognize the RAID controller in a RAID
configuration. Only the RAID controller in a 'standard' mode.  I had the
same issue with my SA6R.

Quote:> I'm trying to install Linux for the first time, so I apologize if these
> questions are dumb.  I have a Windows XP system on a Abit KR7A-RAID
> motherboard with two IBM drives in RAID 0 config.  I've left about 5gigs
of
> unformatted but partitioned space on the array for the Linux installation.
> Whenever I boot from either the RedHat 7.2 or Mandrake 8.1 CDs I
immediately
> get a Kernel panic and everything locks up (immediately meaning just after
> choose to install the OS).  There is a bunch address messages and other
> stuff going on on the screen, but the only other error message I could
> reasonably determine was:

> Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 0008E000

> I'm assuming that the RAID configuration or some part of the bios/chipset
is
> causing the problem, but also
> understand that it might be something related to the dual boot or how I
have
> things partitioned, even though I never get to a point where it asks me
> where I'd like to put the installation.  I've searched the web and Abit
> board for clues (and the one suggestion I saw to turn off Advanced Chipset
> performance doesn't make sense with this bios, as far as I can tell), but
> I'm at a loss as to where to begin to start this installation.  Does
anyone
> have any suggestions who has installed this with ?  Will this kind of dual
> boot/RAID setup normally work?  Am I missing something in my bios (the
only
> change I've made for this installtion is to turn off Plug-N-Play OS)?
Does
> this sound like a RAID problem or do you think I've set up the partitions
> incorrectly (the partition I expect to put Linux on is the second one, not
> the active one, but since I don't even get to a screen ).

> Thanks for any help.

> EJM

Linux Install Problems: Abit KR7A-RAID, Dual boot, Init problems

Post by Chad » Sun, 13 Jan 2002 21:40:17

writes

Quote:>I'm trying to install Linux for the first time, so I apologize if these
>questions are dumb.  I have a Windows XP system on a Abit KR7A-RAID
>motherboard with two IBM drives in RAID 0 config.  I've left about 5gigs of
>unformatted but partitioned space on the array for the Linux installation.
>Whenever I boot from either the RedHat 7.2 or Mandrake 8.1 CDs I immediately
>get a Kernel panic and everything locks up (immediately meaning just after I
>choose to install the OS).  There is a bunch address messages and other
>stuff going on on the screen, but the only other error message I could
>reasonably determine was:

>Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 0008E000

>I'm assuming that the RAID configuration or some part of the bios/chipset is
>causing the problem, but also
>understand that it might be something related to the dual boot or how I have
>things partitioned, even though I never get to a point where it asks me
>where I'd like to put the installation.  I've searched the web and Abit
>board for clues (and the one suggestion I saw to turn off Advanced Chipset
>performance doesn't make sense with this bios, as far as I can tell), but
>I'm at a loss as to where to begin to start this installation.  Does anyone
>have any suggestions who has installed this with ?  Will this kind of dual
>boot/RAID setup normally work?  Am I missing something in my bios (the only
>change I've made for this installtion is to turn off Plug-N-Play OS)?  Does
>this sound like a RAID problem or do you think I've set up the partitions
>incorrectly (the partition I expect to put Linux on is the second one, not
>the active one, but since I don't even get to a screen ).

>Thanks for any help.

>EJM

As I understand it, the HPT372 controller is currently not supported
under Redhat 7.2. Also, although Highpoint provide HPT372 drivers that
you can download from their website, these drivers will only work on
Redhat 7.1 (and perhaps some earlier versions of Redhat, I don't know).

I got this info from comp.os.linux.hardware only the other day. I
recommend you ask there. As was stated in the posting that I saw, you
really have two choices with Redhat until drivers are made available:
You run Redhat 7.1; Or you disable the HPT controller in the bios.
--
Chad R

Linux Install Problems: Abit KR7A-RAID, Dual boot, Init problems

Post by Roger Mass » Sat, 09 Feb 2002 06:37:52

The kernel panics trying to initialize the raid controller in
'standard mode'.
Below is a patch I have used to successfully boot a 2.4.17 kernel I
built myself. The 2 drives I have on the raid controller show up as
individual drives in linux, but at least I can boot. I posted the
following to the linus-kernel mailing list.

I have a kr7a-raid (hpt372 raid) motherboard.i The 2.4.17 kernel
(plus the 2.4.xx variants on the redhat 7.2 and mandrake 8.1)
panic during boot.

I have found the problem is in ide-pci.c (and a similar one in
hpt366.c) and diff -u follows below.

The code of interest begins at line 835 (2.4.17 base):
The hpt372 returns a class_rev of  5  which is not expected
by the switch statement.

        pci_read_config_dword(dev, PCI_CLASS_REVISION, &class_rev);
        class_rev &= 0xff;

        strcpy(d->name, chipset_names[class_rev]);

        switch(class_rev) {
                case 4:
                case 3: printk("%s: IDE controller on PCI bus %02x dev
%02x\n",d->name, dev->bus->number, dev->devfn);
                        ide_setup_pci_device(dev, d);
                        return;
                default:        break;
        }

The patch makes this code more defensive by using the highest known
class_rev if one is returned which is higher.

Also, for class_rev == 4, the strcpy copies a 7 byte string over
a 6 byte one ("HPT370A" over "HPT366") so I added a strncpy
to make this more defensive as well.

--- drivers/ide/ide-pci.orig.c Mon Feb  4 19:37:50 2002

  pci_read_config_dword(dev, PCI_CLASS_REVISION, &class_rev);
  class_rev &= 0xff;

- strcpy(d->name, chipset_names[class_rev]);
+ if(class_rev >= (sizeof(chipset_names)/sizeof(char *))) {
+  class_rev = (sizeof(chipset_names)/sizeof(char *)) - 1;
+ }
+
+ strncpy(d->name, chipset_names[class_rev], strlen(d->name));

  switch(class_rev) {
   case 4:
--- drivers/ide/hpt366.orig.c Mon Feb  4 19:33:30 2002

  pci_read_config_dword(bmide_dev, PCI_CLASS_REVISION, &class_rev);
  class_rev &= 0xff;

+ if(class_rev >= (sizeof(chipset_names)/sizeof(char *)))
+  class_rev = (sizeof(chipset_names)/sizeof(char *)) -1;
+
         /*
          * at that point bibma+0x2 et bibma+0xa are byte registers
          * to investigate: