Loadlin + large drives

Post by Phil Huggin » Thu, 05 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I want to install Linux on a win95 box without having to reinstall win95.
From what i've read loadlin will let me do this. I want to put Linux beyond
the first 1024 cylinders as below.

Primary Partition C:\(Windows 95)
Extended partition Logical Drives D:\(Windows 95)
                                                 E:\Windows 95)
                                                 F:\(Linux)

Is this possible and do i use fdisk to delete the F:\ logical drive then
repartition what was the f drive as linux files and swap space. Does Loadlin
deal with a dual boot where linux is beyond the first 1024 cylinders?

Please reply by email as well as to the group.
Thank You
Phil Huggins

Loadlin + large drives

Post by lefle » Wed, 11 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> I want to install Linux on a win95 box without having to reinstall win95.
> From what i've read loadlin will let me do this. I want to put Linux beyond
> the first 1024 cylinders as below.

> Primary Partition C:\(Windows 95)
> Extended partition Logical Drives D:\(Windows 95)
>                                                  E:\Windows 95)
>                                                  F:\(Linux)

> Is this possible and do i use fdisk to delete the F:\ logical drive then
> repartition what was the f drive as linux files and swap space. Does Loadlin
> deal with a dual boot where linux is beyond the first 1024 cylinders?

> Please reply by email as well as to the group.
> Thank You
> Phil Huggins

  Should be possible as far as I know. If it doesn't, use LILO. It's got to be
below 1024 cylinders but you can easily install it in the Master Boot Record.
Win95 won't care since it ignores the MBR and goes straight for the first
partition that is marked active. You can boot both OS's from LILO. See man lilo
and man lilo.conf for more information.

Hope that help
Lukas

1. 36GB Hard Drive - Very Large Drive Support

i have an external scsi raid box that looks like 1 large hard drive
(actually 2)
it is mapped to a single scsi id, but 2 seperate luns (0,1)
the lun 0 drive is 35Gbytes and the lun 1 drive is 70Gbytes
i am running redhat 6.0 with smp ("standard" kernel 2.2.5-15smp)
i have an ext2fs on each and don't have any problems
except that they are so large a mount (at least in rw mode)
takes a long time, and an fsck takes a REALLY long time

2. Booting Up?

3. compiling kernel - problems with lilo, i think

4. how to copy multiple small drives to one large drive?

5. xantfarm latest version?

6. Using large 72.8GB drives vs. typical 9.1GB drives in 7133-D40

7. Problem with tin

8. 36GB Hard Drive - Very Large Drive Support

9. Large IDE Hard Drive as a Second Hard Drive

10. Large SCSI hard drive and partitions (4GB drive)

11. Help! Booting Linux on SCSI drive with Loadlin

12. Dual booting 4gig drive, LILO or Loadlin?