Linux mail server - Netscape (W/Mac) client - help?

Linux mail server - Netscape (W/Mac) client - help?

Post by GenaB » Sun, 25 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Good morning!

I've been struggling with setting up my server and e-mail on two separate
machines.

Server configuration:
* Pentium 200 MHz, 4GB HD
* Linux Red Hat 5.1, kernel 2.0.35
* Installed all packages
* Able to send/receive mail a-OK while logged onto Linux box and using mail

Client:
* Windblows 98 or Macintosh OS 8.5
* Netscape Communicator v. 4.03 or later:
    Mail server user name: myname
    Outgoing mail (SMTP) server: machine.domain.net
    Incoming mail server: machine.domain.net
    Mail server type:  POP3, messages are kept locally

myname is a valid user ID on my server.  machine.domain.net corresponds to a
real machine installed in a real domain accessible by whois and with the
appropriate MX records, etc.  As I said, it works fine with the mail command.

ERRORS
======
When trying to read e-mail:
Dialog 1 -> Getting new messages:  Status: Connect: Contacting host:
machine.domain.net
Dialog 2 -> Superimposed on D1 -> An error occurred with the POP3 server.  You
should contact the
                                  system administrator for this server or try
again later.

When trying to send mail:
Dialog 1 -> An error occurred sending mail.  The mail server responded:

            we do not relay.  Please check the message recipients and try
again.

Please help?

Replies to this newsgroup and via e-mail will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Gena B.

Linux mail server - Netscape (W/Mac) client - help?

Post by GenaB » Sun, 25 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Update:

While logged on to the Linux box, I can send/receive mail using Navigator 4.5
Messenger without problems.

While logged through W98 I can send mail out but I can't see my e-mail yet.  I
get an error saying:

"Contact the server administrator or try again later."

Help!?

Thanks!

G.

Post by Richard S. Lumpki » Sun, 25 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> myname is a valid user ID on my server.  machine.domain.net corresponds to a
> real machine installed in a real domain accessible by whois and with the
> appropriate MX records, etc.  As I said, it works fine with the mail command.

> ERRORS
> ======
> When trying to read e-mail:
> Dialog 1 -> Getting new messages:  Status: Connect: Contacting host:
> machine.domain.net
> Dialog 2 -> Superimposed on D1 -> An error occurred with the POP3 server.  You
> should contact the
>                                   system administrator for this server or try
> again later.

> When trying to send mail:
> Dialog 1 -> An error occurred sending mail.  The mail server responded:

>             we do not relay.  Please check the message recipients and try
> again.

I don't know what version of sendmail you are trying to use but if it is
8.9.x
then you have to list the clients permitted to relay in

/etc/mail/relay-domains

if you have 8.7.x or 8.8.x putting the relay permitted clients in
/etc/sendmail.cw worked for me.

I'm have no guess regarding your pop3 server.

Richard S. Lumpkin, Ph.D.                            Associate Professor
Department of Chemistry                                     256-890-6365
University of Alabama in Huntsville                     fax 256-890-6349
Huntsville, AL 35899                          http://chromophore.uah.edu

Linux mail server - Netscape (W/Mac) client - help?

Post by GenaB » Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:00:00

Thanks for your answer!

G.

1. Linux mail server - Netscape (W/Mac) client help?

[...]

2. grep sTerm * | grep -v grep ???

3. Using a Mac as CVS server, Linux and Mac clients

4. How to patch XF86_Mach64 ?

5. SuSE Linux Intel Server with Mac Client - help!

6. Hardware Source (Newbie Specs!)

7. Secure transport between mail server and pop client (via another mail server)

8. libstdc++-devel and RawHide

9. win95 client gets mail through linux machine from netware 3.xx mail server, POSSIBLE ?

10. mail client for windows with enhanced features running on a linux mail server?

11. ** Linux mail server and Solaris Client - help? **

12. Unix-Linux-OSF server and Mac client

13. How to configure a Linux server for NT, Mac and SCO Unix clients?