APM problems with RH6.0 Linux on Thinkpad 560

APM problems with RH6.0 Linux on Thinkpad 560

Post by Gaylord Holde » Thu, 10 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I have an IBM Thinkpad 560 (no trailing letters) running RedHat 6.0
(linux kernel 2.2.2.5-15).

I've installed the Win95 bios (sytpk111.exe) on the machine because
the machine locks up on resume with the Win98 bios (sytpk120.exe)

I have the following problems with APM on it:

        Occassionally the backlight does not turn back on after a resume
        Disk drive does not shut down when the lid closes
        Desired APM mode can not be entered

Everything seems to work the for the first suspend/resume cycle, but
after that, getting the machine to enter suspend seems pretty random.

I've configured APM with the following options:

CONFIG_APM=y
# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK=y
CONFIG_APM_POWER_OFF=y
CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_MULTIPLE_SUSPEND=y
CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_SUSPEND_BOUNCE=y
CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT=y
# CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS is not set

Does anyone have any insights or suggestions on this?

--
 Gaylord

APM problems with RH6.0 Linux on Thinkpad 560

Post by Dr Vincent C Jones » Fri, 11 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I've been fighting this same problem on my 560 and Linux 2.0.36. What I
have found is the following:
  - Kernel parameters have no apparent impact
  - SCSI PCMCIA (Adaptec 1460) will only suspend with no devices
  - Using the floppy, then disconnecting it will prevent 2nd suspends
    but workaround is rmmod the floppy driver before it auto unloads.
  - Screen blanking is a *shoot while running
  - Resume may or may not bring back the screen backlight. Workaround is
    set a password and use funcF4, func to keep retrying until its OK.
  - There is a patch for the 1.20 BIOS, I haven't bothered.

By the way, the disk running while the lid is closed is normal if the
disk is in use (which is almost always unless you turn off everything
useful like cron, at, screen savers/lockers, and syslogd.

I suspend routinely without problems other than the caveats above using
the command "apm -s" rather than func-F4. I don't use hibernation as
that requires using the func-keys and does not guarantee that Linux is
in a suspendable/stoppable state. It seemed to work most of the time
when I tried it, but when it doesn't the machine is locked up and must
be reset (even the power switch was hosed).

Good luck. And if you find any more solutions, please post them!

Quote:

--
   Dr. Vincent C. Jones, PE              Expert advice and a helping hand
   Computer Network Consultant           for those who want to manage and

APM problems with RH6.0 Linux on Thinkpad 560

Post by Albert C. L » Fri, 11 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I've configured APM with the following options:

> CONFIG_APM=y
> # CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
> CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
> CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
> CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK=y
> CONFIG_APM_POWER_OFF=y
> CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_MULTIPLE_SUSPEND=y
> CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_SUSPEND_BOUNCE=y
> CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT=y
> # CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS is not set

> Does anyone have any insights or suggestions on this?

Try this (works on my TP600E running RH 6.0, and got the APM setup from a
560X user):

CONFIG_APM=y
CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND=N
CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=N
CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=Y
CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK=Y
CONFIG_APM_POWER_OFF=Y
CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_MULTIPLE_SUSPEND=Y
CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_SUSPEND_BOUNCE=N
CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT=N
CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS=Y

This should enable proper suspend and resume as well as hibernate without
lockups.  Make sure that before you try and suspend or hibernate to issue
the following command:

cardctl eject 1

To turn off PCMCIA -- it will redetect when you resume.

-Al

APM problems with RH6.0 Linux on Thinkpad 560

Post by Adam Spie » Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I've been fighting this same problem on my 560 and Linux 2.0.36. What I
> have found is the following:

[snip]

Quote:>   - There is a patch for the 1.20 BIOS, I haven't bothered.

Do bother.  My TP390E/APM/PCMCIA problems under Linux vanished when I
upgraded to the latest BIOS, despite IBM not claiming that it fixed
problems relating to this.

1. THINKPAD IBM 560 APM

Olin
There is a apm x monitor. It shows the battery life left on the
screen. It is called xapm. It may be downloaded from
 ftp.cs.unc.edu /pub/users/faith/linux
or
tsx-11.mit.edu /pub/linux/packages/laptops/apm

By the way, cat the file
/proc/apm
and all the info is in there.

If you figure out the hibernation mode, let me know. I didn't
even try it. I just use suspend (fn-F4) which works just fine
for me.
jont allen

2. Good-looking fonts for KDE 3

3. RedHat 5.2 on Thinkpad 560 - floppy problem

4. Thinking of switching totally to Linux

5. Problem with IBM Thinkpad 560 and Raven PCMCIA CD-ROM

6. x-plorer. does it work?

7. thinkpad 560 - problem with SCSI PCMCIA

8. Linux and intelligent serial boards

9. Weird ThinkPad 560 screen scrolling problem

10. IBM ThinkPad 560 problem with startx

11. Problems w/FreeBSD on Thinkpad 560

12. Suspend/hibernate problem with Thinkpad 560

13. Thinkpad 560 / PCMCIA Cdrom problem