Simple printing problem????

Post by Tom Bet » Fri, 29 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Here's the deal, I have a Micron P90 and am running the slakware version. I am
trying to print to a Dataproducts LZR PostScript printer. I can't seem to get
it to print. I know the jobs are being queued and sent to the printer but it
seems the printer doesn't know what to do with the print job. It just keeps
blinking waiting for data.???  I believe I need a postscript translator (
Printing HOWTO) mpage. I've tried to download the program but I only have a
windows connection to the internet and don't know how to "import" the
file)mpage.tar-z. What can I do????? I know this is a nubeeeeee question, but
I have to be able to print.

Help Tom

Simple printing problem????

Post by Juergen Exn » Sat, 30 Sep 1995 04:00:00

   trying to print to a Dataproducts LZR PostScript printer. I can't seem to get
   it to print. I know the jobs are being queued and sent to the printer but it
   seems the printer doesn't know what to do with the print job. It just keeps
   blinking waiting for data.???
   [...]

What data did you sent to the printer, plain ascii or a
postscript-file? To check the printer and the connection try to get any
postscript-file and if you can print it, you've located the fault.

To transfer plain ascii to postscript there are several untilities
like a2ps or nenscript (I don't know mpage, sorry). Maybe these
already exit on your system. If not, you can ftp them nearly everywhere.

For your problem with ftp with Microsoft products you should ask in another
newsgroup, I know nothing about that.

Greeting jue

snail-mail: TU Berlin; Sekr. FR 5-13; Franklinstr. 28-29; 10587 Berlin
=-=-=-=-= "I'm sorry Dave, but I can't do that"  HAL 2000  =-=-=-=-=-=

1. Simple Print Problem Help!

Subject: Simple Printing problems ! HELP !
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 1995 16:04:07

Hello,

      I've recently install Linux slackware onto my computer and I'm
attempting to do simple things like print a file and I get nothing directed to
my printer. I try the following simple command:

    >  cat test_file > /dev/lp1

   ... and then the prompt just returns as if it will work - but nothing
happens.

    While booting up I've watched while it says that the lpd daemon is being
started (along with the inetd daemon etc..) and once booted I execute:

   ps -l

  .. looking for the daemons and never see them ?!?!  I've then tried
executing these daemons by hand ie.,

   > /usr/sbin/lpd

   ...they appear to work fine but after executing:

   > ps -l

  or

   > ps -fe

  or

   > ps -gal

   .. I never see them running ?!? Help !! I just want to print out some ascii
files for now.

Thanx Much.

kcc

P.S. Also interesting to note is while Linux is booting up the print Form Feed
light comes on ?

2. Diagnostics Test Program for Linux?

3. Please help fix this simple printing problem (Mandrake 9.0)

4. Buffer corruption problems.

5. Simple Print problem ? Help!

6. Sendmail in 4.7R bugged?

7. Simple Printing problems ! HELP !

8. Help with TOKEN RING

9. simple banner printing not so simple

10. Simple(?) problem setting up print spooler

11. Simple !! printing problem

12. simple date problem, simple solution?

13. Simple printing under RH7.3