Boot problem from ftp.cdrom.com Slackware 3.0 download.

Boot problem from ftp.cdrom.com Slackware 3.0 download.

Post by Bruce Toml » Tue, 02 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I ftp-ed to ftp.cdrom.com. Got all the files for slakware v. 3.0. Took me
>about 2 days. When I installed the bootdisks. My computer booted up and just
>sat there. A detailed procedure of what happened is below:
>All of the files under the bootdsks.144 directory is ~ 600k. I downloaded it
>into my hard drive, rawrited the file (aidecd) onto 1.44 floppy. when I reboot
>my system using this boot image, sreen just displayed cmos settings, floppy A:
>lighted up for a second, then nothing. The system just froze there. I retried
>the above procedures with another boot image (idecd). The exact same thing

Did you try a BRAND NEW FLOPPY DISK?  Even a single bad sector will
prevent you from booting.

And did you remember to set BINARY mode in ftp before downloading the
image?  (Also, don't use Netscape to do binary ftp, because I don't think
it does.  I've had some people try that with a file of mine and it
corrupts it.)

Post by Paul Tob » Tue, 02 Apr 1996 04:00:00

: I ftp-ed to ftp.cdrom.com. Got all the files for slakware v. 3.0. Took me
: about 2 days. When I installed the bootdisks. My computer booted up and just
: sat there. A detailed procedure of what happened is below:

: All of the files under the bootdsks.144 directory is ~ 600k. I downloaded it
: into my hard drive, rawrited the file (aidecd) onto 1.44 floppy. when I reboot
: my system using this boot image, sreen just displayed cmos settings, floppy A:
: lighted up for a second, then nothing. The system just froze there. I retried
: the above procedures with another boot image (idecd). The exact same thing
: happened as before. I tried again with (bare). Yuh..same thing happened. I
: tried to renaming the files to (aidecd.gz) etc... and gzip -d aidecd.gz. Gzip
: just said that the file was not a gzip file. I tried to rename it to
: aidecd.com, aidecd.sys, aidecd.bat, nothing seemed to work. Please e-mail me
: ways to solve this problem. Better yet please post the binaries somewhere uh..
        I had the same problem, the key is to not use gunzip, but to
rawrite it to the disk with the .gz ending still on the file.

        Hope this helps
: in a binary newsgroup and tell me where and when to get it. Thanks a lot.
:       By the Way. I installed Slackware v 2.0 from Linux Unleashed. The
: installation went well. I am not also an Unix expert.

:                                       Ian

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"
-From my High School Math Teacher
I live by that rule =)

Post by Don Dav » Sun, 07 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>I ftp-ed to ftp.cdrom.com. Got all the files for slakware v. 3.0. Took me
>about 2 days. When I installed the bootdisks. My computer booted up and just
>sat there. A detailed procedure of what happened is below:

>All of the files under the bootdsks.144 directory is ~ 600k. I downloaded it
>into my hard drive, rawrited the file (aidecd) onto 1.44 floppy. when I reboot
>my system using this boot image, sreen just displayed cmos settings, floppy A:
>lighted up for a second, then nothing. The system just froze there. I retried
>the above procedures with another boot image (idecd). The exact same thing
>happened as before. I tried again with (bare). Yuh..same thing happened.

If you're using rawrite on a Windows95 machine, it may fail to detect the
floppy disk properly - I had endless trouble rawriting boot/root disk images
until I restarted the machine in MSDOS mode (not MSDOS in a window, but
shutdown and come up in DOS mode).  Once I did that, the boot/root disks wrote
correctly and my Linux box booted up just fine.

Good luck.

--
Don Davis

1. Slackware problem! ftp.cdrom.com, post 28FEB!!

Patrick,

I have had two problems so far with the new slackware.  First let me say, I
really love the new look!  color144 is lovely.  And things seemed to install
fairly well (after I fixed the first problem).  But I am still stuck with
the second, and wanted to mention both of them, as I hate to see anything
mar a really nice package! :)

I ftp'd everything directly from ftp.cdrom.com, after 28 February, so I
assume everything is current (that's the date on the ChangeLog).....

PROBLEM NUMBER ONE:  the install utilities seem to be confused as to where my
target hard disk is being installed.  I attempted to install onto my
/dev/hdb1.  My install-from directories were also on /dev/hdb1, which is an
ext2 type filesystem.  I told the install process *NOT* to make a new
filesystem.  I had placed my install-from directories under a directory off
the root which has an unusual name (and hence was unlikely to get wiped out
by the install).

The problem:  /dev/hdb1 was mounted under directory /var/adm/mount, but the
install process kept wanting to install to /mnt/*!!!!!  I went into the
scripts and changed all occurrences of /mnt to /var/adm/mount, and the
installation went fine.  But this should be fixed??? :)

PROBLEM NUMBER TWO:  I use rtin to read my news, via NNTP.  It worked just
fine on slackware 1.1.1.  I set up the same user, with all the same config
files, on slackware 1.1.2.  As far as I can tell, the rtin is the same
release (though it seems to be a different compile, reasonably enough).

I can't read my newsgroups!  rtin reads the active news groups file from the
NNTP server, then tells me that my newsgroups aren't in
/usr/local/lib/news/active, which is a file *CNEWS* uses to keep a list of
the newsgroups it is receiving LOCALLY!!  Excuse all the exclamation points,
but I'd really like to get moved over to a newer gcc and c-libs, so I'm very
impatient.... ;)

Anyway, NNTP access shouldn't involve that file, as far as I know.  I have
to assume that something has been changed in the configuration, since I
never had to fiddle with that file before!

Anyway, I wanted to mention the problem, and would appreciate any
assistance!

Thanks in advance,

lilo

2. Sound Problems - Compaq Armada 1573D

3. ftp.cdrom.com isn't accepting ftp logins

4. How to setup syslog server

5. mount_nfs and ftp.cdrom.com

6. To All Experts

7. What is the URL of the ftp.cdrom.com real-time thoughput graphs?

8. SCO video in Xwindows

9. ftp.cdrom.com mirror list please.

10. Kernel config for ftp.cdrom.com?

11. ftp.cdrom.com is down

12. /pub/linux/zooed_slackware on ftp.cdrom.com is GONE!

13. ftp.cdrom.com