How do I setup a portable Fileserver that hooks up to Macs and WinPCs via ethernet ?

Post by Anthony Oetzman » Mon, 14 May 2001 03:18:16

How do I setup a portable Fileserver that hooks up to Macs and WinPCs via ethernet ?

Well, that's the big question.
Samba and netatalk is my guess, but I'm not a regular Linux user. That's the reason I'm asking for pointers and suggestions here.

My basic use for this is to carry a sound library around with me, and when hooking up to either a Macintosh or Windwos(or Linux) computer via ethernet, I'd like to access my library easily and hopefull almost
automatically. People seem to ave achieved this already, but I can't find any detailed HowTos or logs of this.

Target hardware would be some vanilla PC that can take a 60-80 gig IDE drive, so it'll probably be a Pentium or later computer with a Promise IDE ATA100 controller and a little Realtek 8139 ethernet card. I still have
a nice little Mystique gfx card too.

How do I put this together with Linux ? Any distribution suggestions ?

  Take care
   Tony

Post by Kwan Low » Tue, 15 May 2001 23:53:18

> How do I setup a portable Fileserver that hooks up to Macs and WinPCs via ethernet ?
> Well, that's the big question.
> Samba and netatalk is my guess, but I'm not a regular Linux user. That's the reason I'm asking for pointers and suggestions here.
> My basic use for this is to carry a sound library around with me, and when hooking up to either a Macintosh or Windwos(or Linux) computer via ethernet, I'd like to access my library easily and hopefull almost
> automatically. People seem to ave achieved this already, but I can't find any detailed HowTos or logs of this.
> Target hardware would be some vanilla PC that can take a 60-80 gig IDE drive, so it'll probably be a Pentium or later computer with a Promise IDE ATA100 controller and a little Realtek 8139 ethernet card. I still have
> a nice little Mystique gfx card too.
> How do I put this together with Linux ? Any distribution suggestions ?

There are a couple ways to do this.  You could do the netatalk/samba route and
share the directory where your sound files are located. Both setups are not too
difficult -- the main issue being the permissions on your filesystem. In my
particular setup, I created a lanuser group with both windows and mac users as
members.

The other easier way is to set up an mp3 streaming server on your Linux machine.
This is a little more involved to configure, but is easier to use (browse to the
Linux machine, click on an mp3 file).

For both, any distro should do. I've successfully setup the first option on
Caldera 2.3 Server, Debian 2.2, and RedHat. I've done the second on Mandrake.