1. Strange LILO Problem (SLS 1.03)
Hello, who knows whats going on here. The system is a 486, SLS 1.03, Kernel
is 0.99pl12 . My problem is the following:
- the A1 disk coming with SLS 1.03 has a zImage pl11.
- due to the fact that I'm running a pl12 Kernel now, which incorporates some
additional stuff (tape driver etc), I tried to setup an A1-disk of my own
using my special pl12 kernel. I succeeded in doing so by replacing the
zImage on a copy of the A1-disk by my kernel, by adding the additional
driver and some utilities to the bin directory on the floppy, and by
modifying the /etc/lilo/config on the floppy in a way, that it accesses
the bootrecord of the A1-disk, when its mounted on /fd0 in my running
system. Also executing LILO worked ok, I got a bootable floppy, which
is valuable for instance in doing standalone backups of my disks. Booting
from the new A1 disk works ok.
- So far, no problems. But then some day my system crashed during normal
operation. I said, no problem, reboot with my new A1 disk, e2fsck and so
on. But - booting from the new A1-disk resulted in LIL- , nothing else
happened. Normally it worked ok. Booting from the SLS 1.03 A1 disks
(unmodified) was ok. Trying to boot directly from harddisk resulted also
in LIL- . Ok, I booted the pl11 from the original A1, did the e2fsck,
no errors reported. Did an e2fsck -r until the system reported the
disks to be clean. And then - oh wonder!! - booting from harddisk AND
booting from my selfmade A1 worked ok again!!!! So, what did I do wrong?
-> I guess that LILO on my selfmade A1 checks the harddisks in a certain
way. How can I avoid that? I want to have a REAL emergency A1 disk with
my modified kernel on it. A disk, which is strictly supposed NOT to hang
when the computer is hung... As long as I still keep some copies of
the original A1 thats no problem, (see above), but not that elegant as
I want to have it.
- Don't need to say, that the selfmade disk works under normal conditions,
and that it never was in the machine not being write protected, only
when I created it. So there could have been no accidental modification on
it. The same effect shows up on the several copies I have of this disk.
Please help! Thanks a lot, Karsten
------------------> Karsten Steffens <---------------------
Marl - close to Recklinghausen | Institut fuer Kernphysik
North of the Ruhrgebiet | Westf.Wilhelms-Universitaet Muenster
2. Installed RH9, Can't Mount CDROM?
3. strange LILO problem
4. Solved: Kernal Compile Problem
5. Strange lilo problem
6. NEW linux ftp site (banjo ressurected)
7. Strange LILO problem
8. Printer Problems Please Help
9. Strange Lilo "LI" problems
10. strange problems with LILO
11. Strange problem with LILO
12. HELP !!!!!!!!! Very strange problem with BIOS and LILO !!!!!
13. Strange problem with LILO (screen full of 01's)