USRobotics-linux install:where to start?

USRobotics-linux install:where to start?

Post by SkySp » Fri, 16 Aug 1996 04:00:00

USRobotics sportster 28800 fax modem - I'm using Caldera (linux_red hat).
I wanted to know how or where do u start in installing(configuring) this.
At boot linux sees the serial ports but does not specify the modem-does it
have to?
Is seeing the ports enough, and I just need to configure DIP ?
Where do u start?
Thanks

Post by Subhas Ro » Sat, 17 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> USRobotics sportster 28800 fax modem - I'm using Caldera (linux_red hat).
> I wanted to know how or where do u start in installing(configuring) this.
> At boot linux sees the serial ports but does not specify the modem-does it
> have to?
> Is seeing the ports enough, and I just need to configure DIP ?
> Where do u start?
> Thanks

I am using an external USRobotics sportster 28800/33600 fax modem on
COM2.
You have to read PPP-Howto, ISP-howto, and "Redhat tips for PPP".
You can get Howto docs from sunsite and Redhat tips from Redhat's web
site.
Once you read them, its not difficult and it all works. Remember to use
proper kernel version and pppd version combination. For 2.0.x kernel
use pppd 2.2.0f version.

I can give you a  USRobotics sportster 28800 fax modem specific tip.
Here is my modem init string:

  AT&F1&A3&B1&C1&D2&I0&H1&R2&K3&M4&S0&S1S0=0S13=1X4E1Q0V1

good luck.

--

USRobotics-linux install:where to start?

Post by Micah McCrack » Tue, 27 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I have the USRobotics Sportster Winmodem.  Can I run this with linux/X?
I am sure a special driver would be required.

Micah