XDMCP from solaris to linux

Post by Ariel » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 06:17:32

How do I (remotely) bring up a solaris login screen from my redhat 9 machine?

Basically I want to just be able to open up a gnome-terminal and be able
make an xdmcp connection to a remote solaris machine and launch a cde login
screen on my redhat machine.  Or just simply rsh into my solaris machine
and xhost back a solaris welcome screen.

I'm using gdm and redhat 9
Remote machine is solaris 9.

Any help, pointers would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

-arielc

XDMCP from solaris to linux

Post by Ian Northeas » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 06:49:20

> How do I (remotely) bring up a solaris login screen from my redhat 9 machine?

> Basically I want to just be able to open up a gnome-terminal and be able
> make an xdmcp connection to a remote solaris machine and launch a cde login
> screen on my redhat machine.  Or just simply rsh into my solaris machine
> and xhost back a solaris welcome screen.

> I'm using gdm and redhat 9
> Remote machine is solaris 9.

X -query <solaris> -once :1

from the command line should start a second X server with an XDMCP
connection to your Solaris machine. This will be available on
ctrl-alt-F8 unless you've changed the default TTYs.

Regards, Ian

XDMCP from solaris to linux

Post by Ariel » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 02:40:31

ooh, getting warmer!

The only problem is, that when I run the command you gave me the second
server takes over my root window.  I'd like to be able to bring up a
solaris login screen on my redhat machine and still be able to view my
redhat gnome desktop.  I'm I asking for cake and eat it too?

Maybe I have to go with vnc, anyone know how well vnc would be able to
handle this?  I really don't want to use vnc, I would like to minimize the
number of layers.

Thanks.

-arielc

>>How do I (remotely) bring up a solaris login screen from my redhat 9 machine?

>>Basically I want to just be able to open up a gnome-terminal and be able
>>make an xdmcp connection to a remote solaris machine and launch a cde login
>>screen on my redhat machine.  Or just simply rsh into my solaris machine
>>and xhost back a solaris welcome screen.

>>I'm using gdm and redhat 9
>>Remote machine is solaris 9.

> X -query <solaris> -once :1

> from the command line should start a second X server with an XDMCP
> connection to your Solaris machine. This will be available on
> ctrl-alt-F8 unless you've changed the default TTYs.

> Regards, Ian

XDMCP from solaris to linux

Post by Ian Northeas » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 06:57:29

> > X -query <solaris> -once :1

> > from the command line should start a second X server with an XDMCP
> > connection to your Solaris machine. This will be available on
> > ctrl-alt-F8 unless you've changed the default TTYs.
> ooh, getting warmer!

> The only problem is, that when I run the command you gave me the second
> server takes over my root window.  I'd like to be able to bring up a
> solaris login screen on my redhat machine and still be able to view my
> redhat gnome desktop.  I'm I asking for cake and eat it too?

> Maybe I have to go with vnc, anyone know how well vnc would be able to
> handle this?  I really don't want to use vnc, I would like to minimize the
> number of layers.

Please don't top post, it makes replying extremely difficult. You do not
even have the usual excuse as you are not using a brain dead
almost-newsreader like most people who do this. Please don't copy your
reply to me by email either. Email should only be used to reply to a
usenet post if the subject has become off topic, you have something
personal to say, or you are invited to. None is the case here.

The second X server does not take over anything. I am not sure what you
mean by "root window". The second X server occupies the next available
virtual terminal, normally, as I said, available on ctrl-alt-F8. The
original one is still there on ctrl-alt-F7 (by default). You can flip
between them with these key combinations.
It is possible to change these assignments by altering the number of
TTYs started in /etc/inittab in which case they move, but I assume you
have not done this.

If you want your CDE desktop in a window then the only way I know to do
this, apart from starting up a VMware virtual machine just to be an X
server, which would be excessive, is VNC.

If someone else knows another way to do this please post it.

PS I rarely bother with this myself, I am not over fond of CDE despite
having lived with it for years (I have not used Solaris for very long
but I have AIX, and this uses it too). I just ssh to the Solaris/AIX
machine with X tunnelling enabled and run my X apps over this. Solaris 9
comes with ssh as I assume you know, as do all recent Linux distros. It
is usually necessary to enable the X tunnel explicitly at both ends.

Regards, Ian

XDMCP from solaris to linux

Post by Shashank Khanvilka » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 08:08:25

Quote:

> X -query <solaris> -once :1

> from the command line should start a second X server with an XDMCP
> connection to your Solaris machine. This will be available on
> ctrl-alt-F8 unless you've changed the default TTYs.

Hi this worked for me when i tried to access solaris from linux.

However this does not work when i try to access another linux machine.. Is
there anything else that i need to do?
Shank

Quote:> Regards, Ian

XDMCP from solaris to linux

Post by Rod Smi » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 12:24:04

Quote:

>> X -query <solaris> -once :1

>> from the command line should start a second X server with an XDMCP
>> connection to your Solaris machine. This will be available on
>> ctrl-alt-F8 unless you've changed the default TTYs.

> Hi this worked for me when i tried to access solaris from linux.

> However this does not work when i try to access another linux machine.. Is
> there anything else that i need to do?
> Shank

You need to loosen the restrictions on the XDMCP server. Precisely how you
do this depends on what XDMCP server you're using. My instructions on
linking VNC with XDMCP, which I mentioned in another post to this thread,
include a brief rundown of this:

http://www.linux-mag.com/2003-03/guru_02.html

Be aware of the security risks of running an XDMCP server, though; it's
essentially like running a Telnet server. I wouldn't recommend opening
such access to the Internet at large. It may be OK on a private network
behind a NAT router, or if you implement firewall rules to keep out all
but a few systems.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com