Upgrading SuSE 6.0 -> newer

Post by Alexander Staub » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Trying to update SuSE Linux 6.0 to a newer version, I post YAST to one
of SuSE's mirror sites and tell it to upgrade to 6.1 (I should, of
course, upgrade to 6.2, but in attempting to do so YAST tells me that my
version of YAST is too old). This yields the following error messages:

  Updating your system requires actualisation of the base system.
  Please boot your system as for installation and go on with updating.

When I thus boot the installation off a boot disk, I get the
installation program, but no option to "update" -- only a full install.
So I'm left pondering.

I'd imagine I could build a boot disk with YAST and the necessary driver
modules, but I do not possess the necessary Linux know-how yet. ;-)

Thanks in advance.

--
Alexander Staubo             http://www.mop.no/~alex/
"He could open a tin of sardines with his teeth, strike a Swan

Upgrading SuSE 6.0 -> newer

Post by J. Paul Bissonnett » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I think you have to use the boot disk that came with your instalation and
not the disk you made to boot your system
Paul

> Trying to update SuSE Linux 6.0 to a newer version, I post YAST to one
> of SuSE's mirror sites and tell it to upgrade to 6.1 (I should, of
> course, upgrade to 6.2, but in attempting to do so YAST tells me that my
> version of YAST is too old). This yields the following error messages:

>   Updating your system requires actualisation of the base system.
>   Please boot your system as for installation and go on with updating.

> When I thus boot the installation off a boot disk, I get the
> installation program, but no option to "update" -- only a full install.
> So I'm left pondering.

> I'd imagine I could build a boot disk with YAST and the necessary driver
> modules, but I do not possess the necessary Linux know-how yet. ;-)

> Thanks in advance.

> --
> Alexander Staubo             http://www.mop.no/~alex/
> "He could open a tin of sardines with his teeth, strike a Swan
> Vestas on his chin, rope steers, drive a steam locomotive and hum
> all the works of Gilbert and Sullivan without becoming confused or
> breaking down in tears."
> --Robert Rankin, _The Book of Ultimate Truths_

--

Canadian Dream Reise u. Immobilienvermittlung, Online Flugreservierung

Upgrading SuSE 6.0 -> newer

Post by Alexander Staub » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

says...

Quote:> I think you have to use the boot disk that came with your instalation and
> not the disk you made to boot your system
> Paul

Yep, I recreated this boot disk using the boot image on the CD-ROM.
Didn't help.

--
Alexander Staubo             http://www.mop.no/~alex/
"`This must be Thursday,' said Arthur to himself, sinking low over

1. setpgrp - problem after upgrading SuSE 5.3 to SuSE 6.0

Hi,

I want to install WML (Website Meta Language)
(www.engelschall.com/sw/wml/)
on my Linux machine ... Before I upgraded my System to SuSE 6.0
everything worked fine and I could install it without problems, but now
the configurescript of WML halts, when it wants to check if setpgrp can
cross_compile ...

Anyone knows how I could fix this problem ???
Or in which packet (rpm) can I find some kind of setpgrp ???

TIA
  CHristian

http://www.topitmagic.de  -  DAS Online-Magazin fuer Zauberkuenstler

2. could i run linux programme after i install linux tools for AIX in my AIX4330?

3. NFS SuSE 6.0 -> SuSE 6.4 don`t work

4. data connection of ftp in window socket

5. SuSE 5.3 -> SuSE 6.0 broke IPForwarding or routing

6. Certification of Apache 1.3.6 on HPUX 11.0

7. Warning: Red Hat 6.0 upgrade affects trn -> Pnews -> inews

8. @@@ Any Program in UNIX for converting DOS's Binaries into ASCII? @@@

9. Need advice re: upgrading to SUSE 6.0 from RH5.1

10. SuSE Linux 6.0 to 6.3 Upgrade

11. Question about S.u.S.E. 6.0 Upgrade and KDE

12. suse 6.0 upgrade and printers

13. upgrading SuSE 6.0 to kernel 2.2.10