SiS630 + AcerView F31e panel X setup problem

SiS630 + AcerView F31e panel X setup problem

Post by Bo-Yin Ya » Tue, 20 Nov 2001 09:52:42

Hello,

        I bought a second-hand AcerView F31e cheap intending to use it
as a convenient home display.  I have a box made up of spare parts as
follows: 40G HDD, FDD, 40x CD, 466MHz Celeron, ASUS CUS-M motherboard,
integrated with SiS630e chipset including graphics and NIC, microATX
mini-case with 150W power supply, 512MB PC133 SDRAM (2 Crucial DIMMs).

        I had previously installed Debian on this machine elsewhere,
and X Windows worked with 16MB buffer and a 17in Viewsonic monitor.  I
reinstalled Redhat 7.2 and the X-based install went off smoothly (I am
using an IBM spacesaver keyboard with trackpoint as my PS/2 mouse).  I
see during the install that the F31e was detected fine and the SiS630e
integrated graphics was detected as well.  But when running X, I see a
black area -- X windows did not use the whole screen, but one strip on
the rightmost part was blank.  When setting up with 640x480 everything
was fine and in text mode everything was fine.  X works ok except for
this hitch and the screen setting status shows a non-preset mode.

        Does anyone use F31e and can anyone supply your XFree86 config
files so that this poor soul could run his machine in peace?  Thanks.

Post by Warren Bel » Tue, 20 Nov 2001 11:28:13

> Hello,

> I bought a second-hand AcerView F31e cheap intending to use it
> as a convenient home display.  I have a box made up of spare parts as
> follows: 40G HDD, FDD, 40x CD, 466MHz Celeron, ASUS CUS-M motherboard,
> integrated with SiS630e chipset including graphics and NIC, microATX
> mini-case with 150W power supply, 512MB PC133 SDRAM (2 Crucial DIMMs).

> I had previously installed Debian on this machine elsewhere,
> and X Windows worked with 16MB buffer and a 17in Viewsonic monitor.  I
> reinstalled Redhat 7.2 and the X-based install went off smoothly (I am
> using an IBM spacesaver keyboard with trackpoint as my PS/2 mouse).  I
> see during the install that the F31e was detected fine and the SiS630e
> integrated graphics was detected as well.  But when running X, I see a
> black area -- X windows did not use the whole screen, but one strip on
> the rightmost part was blank.  When setting up with 640x480 everything
> was fine and in text mode everything was fine.  X works ok except for
> this hitch and the screen setting status shows a non-preset mode.

> Does anyone use F31e and can anyone supply your XFree86 config
> files so that this poor soul could run his machine in peace?  Thanks.

I have the sis630 chip in my laptop and have to run it in framebuffer
mode.  I *think* you need to put vga=791 in /etc/lilo.conf and rerun
lilo.

Post by Z.Dobos » Sat, 24 Nov 2001 05:14:01

> > Hello,

> > I bought a second-hand AcerView F31e cheap intending to use it
> > as a convenient home display.  I have a box made up of spare parts as
> > follows: 40G HDD, FDD, 40x CD, 466MHz Celeron, ASUS CUS-M motherboard,
> > integrated with SiS630e chipset including graphics and NIC, microATX
> > mini-case with 150W power supply, 512MB PC133 SDRAM (2 Crucial DIMMs).

> > I had previously installed Debian on this machine elsewhere,
> > and X Windows worked with 16MB buffer and a 17in Viewsonic monitor.  I
> > reinstalled Redhat 7.2 and the X-based install went off smoothly (I am
> > using an IBM spacesaver keyboard with trackpoint as my PS/2 mouse).  I
> > see during the install that the F31e was detected fine and the SiS630e
> > integrated graphics was detected as well.  But when running X, I see a
> > black area -- X windows did not use the whole screen, but one strip on
> > the rightmost part was blank.  When setting up with 640x480 everything
> > was fine and in text mode everything was fine.  X works ok except for
> > this hitch and the screen setting status shows a non-preset mode.

> > Does anyone use F31e and can anyone supply your XFree86 config
> > files so that this poor soul could run his machine in peace?  Thanks.

> I have the sis630 chip in my laptop and have to run it in framebuffer
> mode.  I *think* you need to put vga=791 in /etc/lilo.conf and rerun
> lilo

"vga=0x317" for 1024x786

1. SiS630e + AcerView F31e LCD panel X setup

[...]

        I find this extremely strange since I thought LCD is digital,
you wouldn't get things like too narrow or too wide or offset wrong in
a panel, clearly I was wrong.  Anyway, I need to see the modeline or
modelines, or other setup data for this Acerview F31e!  Does anyone
use F31e and can anyone supply your XFree86 config files so that this
poor soul could run his machine in peace?  Thanks.

2. zero size directories

3. X Setup problems on Notebook (SIS630/730)

4. Red Hat's SEC Filing

5. Can't setup X with SiS630 notebook, but DemoLinux run!

6. Multiple Ultra66 controllers

7. Modelines setup for AcerView 76 i monitor

8. System management software

9. Flat Panel Setup Problems

10. Flat Panel Display Setup Problems

11. Problem with SiS630 (integrated) sound card