Error during "Install Bootloader" process of installation

Error during "Install Bootloader" process of installation

Post by Jame » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi all,

I have a dell system Optiplex GXM  5133 that i tried to get to run
linux(Redhat 5.1), but am having a hard time.  Specifically,  I cannot get
past the boot screen where it asks "Where do you want to install the
bootloader?"  I tred bot the mater boot record and the first sector of boot
partition option, but it both says that an error has occured and retrying is
not helping.  Any hints/answers/support would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
James

Post by Eri » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>Hi all,
>I have a dell system Optiplex GXM  5133 that i tried to get to run
>linux(Redhat 5.1), but am having a hard time.  Specifically,  I cannot get
>past the boot screen where it asks "Where do you want to install the
>bootloader?"  I tred bot the mater boot record and the first sector of boot
>partition option, but it both says that an error has occured and retrying is
>not helping.  Any hints/answers/support would be greatly appreciated.

        The Bootloader is LILO (Linux LOader) I presume.
        You can read the well documented README in the LILO package.

        If you can't access if, tell me I'll send you by file attach.

        You can have a look to Installation HOWTO, LILO install is well
explained, too.

Bye,

Error during "Install Bootloader" process of installation

Post by Jame » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Could you please send me the file then.  Also, technically this system
doesn't need LILO because it only has linux on it right?  if LILO is not
necessary, then why does it not boot up to linux then?  it goes past BIOS
installed successfully, then it says "strike f1 to retry boot, f2 for setup
utility"  How do i get it to boot to linux without LILO?

Thanks for all your help

Post by Rick Moe » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

: I have a dell system Optiplex GXM  5133 that i tried to get to run
: linux(Redhat 5.1), but am having a hard time.  Specifically,  I cannot get
: past the boot screen where it asks "Where do you want to install the
: bootloader?"  I tred bot the mater boot record and the first sector of boot
: partition option, but it both says that an error has occured and retrying is
: not helping.  Any hints/answers/support would be greatly appreciated.

Abort installation.
Boot a write-protected, virus free DOS diskette.
Do "FDISK /MBR" six or seven times in a row.
Re-do your Linux installation.

--
Cheers,                   The cynics among us might say:   "We laugh,
Rick Moen                 monkeyboys -- Linux IS the mainstream UNIX now!

Error during "Install Bootloader" process of installation

Post by Rick Moe » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

: Could you please send me the file then.  Also, technically this system
: doesn't need LILO because it only has linux on it right?

Wrong.  The system needs lilo or an equivalent such as loadlin.

: if LILO is not necessary, then why does it not boot up to linux then?

Your MBR has gotten messed up.

--
Cheers,                   The cynics among us might say:   "We laugh,
Rick Moen                 monkeyboys -- Linux IS the mainstream UNIX now!
rick (at) linuxmafia.com  MuaHaHaHa!" but that would be rude. -- Jim Dennis

Error during "Install Bootloader" process of installation

Post by Jame » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Abort installation.
>Boot a write-protected, virus free DOS diskette.
>Do "FDISK /MBR" six or seven times in a row.
>Re-do your Linux installation.

I tried this but it didn't do anything, it still gaves me the same error...
What should I do?

Post by Rick Moe » Thu, 31 Dec 1998 04:00:00

: I tried this but it didn't do anything, it still gaves me the same error...
: What should I do?

Well, if I consistently got an error, in something as straightforward
as writing lilo information into the MBR, I'd be tempted to low-level
format the drive.  You know:  "I say we take off and nuke it from
orbit.  It's the only way to be sure."

Of course, before that, I'd make very, very sure that I wasn't
messing up in my /etc/lilo.conf, e.g. that its "boot" line
says "boot=/dev/hda" for IDE or "boot=/dev/sda" for SCSI.

If the thing keeps giving you problems, you might want to seek
in-person help from one of the Linux user groups near you.

--
Cheers,                   The cynics among us might say:   "We laugh,
Rick Moen                 monkeyboys -- Linux IS the mainstream UNIX now!
rick (at) linuxmafia.com  MuaHaHaHa!" but that would be rude. -- Jim Dennis

Error during "Install Bootloader" process of installation

Post by Jame » Thu, 31 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Well, if I consistently got an error, in something as straightforward
>as writing lilo information into the MBR, I'd be tempted to low-level
>format the drive.  You know:  "I say we take off and nuke it from
>orbit.  It's the only way to be sure."

How do I low level format the drive?

Thanks,
James

Error during "Install Bootloader" process of installation

Post by Rick Moe » Thu, 31 Dec 1998 04:00:00

: How do I low level format the drive?

With SCSI, you use the utility for this purpose built into the SCSI
host adapter ROMs.  With IDE, you must acquire the manufacturer's
DOS-based utility for that purpose.  The utility will be specific
to that particular series of drives, which will be specified in the
docs.

That means you'll have to search out where the drive manufacturer
makes the utility available on the Net -- usually on the company's
main ftp site.  You can usually find those via TheRef:

http://theref.c3d.rl.af.mil/theref.html

If that doesn't work, you may need to telephone the company's
technical support line, and ask.  (TheRef will have the numbers to call.)

--
Cheers,                   The cynics among us might say:   "We laugh,
Rick Moen                 monkeyboys -- Linux IS the mainstream UNIX now!
rick (at) linuxmafia.com  MuaHaHaHa!" but that would be rude. -- Jim Dennis

1. An error occured during step "Install bootloader"

I'm running Red Hat 4.2 and have not yet made the leap to 6.0/6.1.

I had one, 3.2GB drive and was running WinNT, Win95, and RH 4.2 with no
problems.  I just bought a new 6.4GB drive which I installed as a master

on my secondary IDE channel so now I have both drives running.  Using
Partition Magic I wiped out the original install and tried to re-load RH

4.2 in a logical partition on the second drive and load LILO on the
Linux partition (i.e. not on the MBR as that would stop Partition Magic
from working).

I get the following error:
An error occured during step "Install bootloader" of the install.

I've tried the install several times.  Any help appreciated.

Sean

2. HELP - 2.0.34 kernel memory management problem

3. Red Hat 6.0 install errors: "Install bootloader"

4. Daemon debugging info

6. 'CPU time limit exceeded' message

7. Error "Install bootloader" RH 5.0 & 6.0

8. Postscript Library for Linux?

9. RH4.0, Error in "Install Bootloader" : Please Help!

10. "Install bootloader" error

11. Error during install "Error reading header at xxxx"

13. "Fatal Server Error: No Screen Found" during Installation