newbie type advice questions... re: installing RH7.2 on Dell INSPIRON 7500 laptop

newbie type advice questions... re: installing RH7.2 on Dell INSPIRON 7500 laptop

Post by art haagsm » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 04:18:04

Howdie all -

It has been about 2 years since I used Linux.  Want to get back into the
swing of things, but this time on a laptop.

2 years ago, it seemed like putting Linux on a laptop was a foolhardy thing
to do.  Trodding ground where angels fear to tread and
all that stuff.

I have a Dell INSPIRON laptop.  Will want to dual boot it with W2K Server
(I'll worry about the dual boot thing later.  I used to dual boot
a WNT workstation, so I know about that... BUT IF SERVER edition is going to
make it hard to dual boot with a Linux workstation configuration,
somebody slap me now!)

The laptop has an ATI RAGE P/M Mobility AGP 2X vid adapter.
It also has an ESS Maestro2E PCI AudioDrive (WDM) sound card

My question is this... it appears that this hardware is supported, what are
the gotchas for installing on a laptop?
Any real hard rocks regarding X on a laptop video card and screen?
Sound any more difficult than on a regular desk side workstation?

Any advice, tips, trick, traps to avoid, or "I'd be a thinkin of doing this
some other way" type input is appreciated.

TiA

a work thingy).

(BTW - anyone know of any mainstream laptop manufacturer that still offers
Linux as an option when purchasing a new laptop? )

newbie type advice questions... re: installing RH7.2 on Dell INSPIRON 7500 laptop

Post by Shannon Lloy » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 04:49:49

Quote:> I have a Dell INSPIRON laptop.  Will want to dual boot it with W2K Server
> (I'll worry about the dual boot thing later.  I used to dual boot
> a WNT workstation, so I know about that... BUT IF SERVER edition is going
> make it hard to dual boot with a Linux workstation configuration,
> somebody slap me now!)

> The laptop has an ATI RAGE P/M Mobility AGP 2X vid adapter.
> It also has an ESS Maestro2E PCI AudioDrive (WDM) sound card

I've done this on a laptop with ATI Rage 128 Mobility (M3) and ESS Maestro
2E, and it works out of the box with RH 7.1/7.2 and Mandrake 8.0/8.1. My
laptop is an Inspiron 5000e, which sounds pretty similar to yours, so I
doubt you'll encounter any serious problems. I don't think the winmodem is
supported (I could be wrong - I've heard something about the Lucent chip in
the winmodem being supported these days), but I'm using cable anyway, so I
don't really care. I've also had it dual booting with Win2k Pro (NTFS)
without any problems.
HTH,
Shannon

Post by Kevin Sal » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 18:52:30

>> I have a Dell INSPIRON laptop.  Will want to dual boot it with W2K Server
>> (I'll worry about the dual boot thing later.  I used to dual boot
>> a WNT workstation, so I know about that... BUT IF SERVER edition is going
>> make it hard to dual boot with a Linux workstation configuration,
>> somebody slap me now!)

>> The laptop has an ATI RAGE P/M Mobility AGP 2X vid adapter.
>> It also has an ESS Maestro2E PCI AudioDrive (WDM) sound card

> I've done this on a laptop with ATI Rage 128 Mobility (M3) and ESS Maestro
> 2E, and it works out of the box with RH 7.1/7.2 and Mandrake 8.0/8.1. My
> laptop is an Inspiron 5000e, which sounds pretty similar to yours, so I
> doubt you'll encounter any serious problems. I don't think the winmodem is
> supported (I could be wrong - I've heard something about the Lucent chip
> in the winmodem being supported these days), but I'm using cable anyway,
> so I don't really care. I've also had it dual booting with Win2k Pro
> (NTFS) without any problems.
> HTH,
> Shannon

I have the same comments - the devices are supported, the winmodem not. I
would add though that you may find an aparrent problem when you come to try
attaching an external monitor to your PC via either a port replicator or
the ext. VGA port. As soon as X starts up, the monitor switches off, and
you need to Fn-F8 3 times to get it back.

If you intend to use an ext. monitor when you're at rest, you might want to
take a look at a page I wrote for this problem. It could save you a few
hours.

Its on http://www.trib-design.com/linux-dell/

-------------------- Odirent, dum metuent --------------------

Please remove all references to spam in my reply-to address if
                you are sending a personal mail

Post by Jon Cheyn » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 20:33:31

> I have a Dell INSPIRON laptop.  Will want to dual boot it with W2K Server
> (I'll worry about the dual boot thing later.  I used to dual boot
> a WNT workstation, so I know about that... BUT IF SERVER edition is going to
> make it hard to dual boot with a Linux workstation configuration,
> somebody slap me now!)

not sure about the issue of server edition vs workstation but it's
always worthwhile installing windows *first* then linux - it can be doen
the other way but at some cost in terms of pain, time etc.

1. Researching install FreeBSD on Dell Inspiron 7500 laptop.

Hello,
I'm currently running SuSE linux on my laptop, but am looking at changing to
FreeBSD for a number of reasons, but mainly out of curiousity :).
Has anyone sources of information that I might access for installing FreeBSD
on a laptop?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers
Krisno

2. Disable display wake up from mouse

3. Dell Inspiron 7500 and Corel Linux -HELP

4. Does Canon S800 works well?

5. Can Linux handle Dell Inspiron 7500 SXGA+ (1400x1050)?

6. Programing for begginers?

7. System Freeze: Dell Inspiron 7500

8. mouse stup

9. DELL inspiron 7500 650 YT ?

10. ATI Rage Mobility-AGP2x on Dell 7500 (Inspiron) Redhat Linux v7.x...

11. XF86Config for Dell Inspiron 7500?

12. LCD Display on Dell Inspiron 7500

13. Dell inspiron 7500, PCMCIA, and 2.4.x -- No love.