HELP!: cannot install Win NT (had NT+Linux+LILO)

HELP!: cannot install Win NT (had NT+Linux+LILO)

Post by Roberta Maran » Fri, 27 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hello.
I am trying to set up my PC with Win NT + Linux.
I am now having big problems (re)installing Win NT 4.0.
I had originally installed NT, partitioning the hard drive
to make room for Linux. This was successful.
Then I installed Linux RedHAt 4.2 on the empty partition
and everything went fine. Without thinking too much I
also installed LILO along with RH.
When I tried to reboot Win NT (LILO's default)
I got an error message from windows NT (something about not
finding something on the hard disk, I can't remember anymore)
and a pageful of garbage.
I assumed LILO destroyed some information NT needed and I
proceeded to try to reinstall Win NT. But I can't do it!

I can boot from the NT installation diskettes, repartition the
hard drive but then the installation program try to reboot the
system and the computer hangs at reboot, sometimes asking for a
bootable floppy.
If I hit CTL ALT DEL and start over again with the installation
I find
the partition table completely screwed up and the installation
program refuses to proceed.
I deleted all the partitions using the Linux floppies and
started over with NT, which again seems to work fine till the
reboot during installation where it hangs.
I tried repartition the hard drive using fdisk from a dos 6.22
bootable floppy, and also reformatting,
but it did not solve the problem.
I am running short of ideas...
Anybody has any suggestions ?

Thank you very much!

Roberta

HELP!: cannot install Win NT (had NT+Linux+LILO)

Post by Shult » Sat, 28 Mar 1998 04:00:00

If you want to start over you may need to use FDISK with the MBR switch to
restore the master boot record.

HELP!: cannot install Win NT (had NT+Linux+LILO)

Post by <awh.. » Wed, 01 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>If you want to start over you may need to use FDISK with the MBR switch to
>restore the master boot record.

Use OS/2 Boot Manager.  Either get a copy from an OS/2 Box
or get Partition Magic which includes Boot Manager.

In my humble opinion the best boot manager out there.

I have 2 4.3 G  SCSI drives and boot DOS/WinNT, an OS/2 Maintenence
partition, OS/2 Warp 4 propper and Linux Red Hat of the same boot
manager.  No problems at all.

Hope this helps
Anthony

Post by Mike Ell » Wed, 01 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>What you're trying to do should work, I've done it on a 2.5GB HD, but a
>better way is to not put LILO in the MBR. Instead, put it in the boot sector
>on the Linux partition and use NT's boot menu to boot NT, DOS, or Linux. To
>do this, a boot sector file for Linux needs to be put in the C drive's root
>directory and a line added to BOOT.INI. I think the C drive must be a FAT16
>partition for any multi-boot (I know it does if you want DOS on NT's menu).
>Download BOOTPA11.ZIP to create a Linux boot sector. You can also do this
>with only Linux but I can't remember how.

The C drive can be NTFS to boot to Linux on another drive/partition.
That is how I have it.
! Mike Ellis: http://www.poboxes.com/mellis             !

Post by Matthew Devne » Thu, 02 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> Hello.
> I am trying to set up my PC with Win NT + Linux.
> I am now having big problems (re)installing Win NT 4.0.
> I had originally installed NT, partitioning the hard drive
> to make room for Linux. This was successful.
> Then I installed Linux RedHAt 4.2 on the empty partition
> and everything went fine. Without thinking too much I
> also installed LILO along with RH.
> When I tried to reboot Win NT (LILO's default)
> I got an error message from windows NT (something about not
> finding something on the hard disk, I can't remember anymore)
> and a pageful of garbage.
> I assumed LILO destroyed some information NT needed and I
> proceeded to try to reinstall Win NT. But I can't do it!

> I can boot from the NT installation diskettes, repartition the
> hard drive but then the installation program try to reboot the
> system and the computer hangs at reboot, sometimes asking for a
> bootable floppy.
> If I hit CTL ALT DEL and start over again with the installation
> I find
> the partition table completely screwed up and the installation
> program refuses to proceed.
> I deleted all the partitions using the Linux floppies and
> started over with NT, which again seems to work fine till the
> reboot during installation where it hangs.
> I tried repartition the hard drive using fdisk from a dos 6.22
> bootable floppy, and also reformatting,
> but it did not solve the problem.
> I am running short of ideas...
> Anybody has any suggestions ?

> Thank you very much!

> Roberta

Try installing Linux first; use Linux's fdisk for the Linux partition(s)
and let NT deal with the NT partition.  Set LILO to boot straight into
Linux without waiting.  Then, once that's all set up:

dd if=/dev/hda of=/tmp/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1

I hope I remembered that right.  Then go ahead and install NT.  It will
replace LILO.  Aren't you glad you just made a copy.  (See above.)
Okay, once NT is all installed, copy the file from Linux
(/tmp.bootsect.lnx, remember?) to the NT partition.  You will have to
use a floppy disk unless you put a FAT partition on there somewhere.
Then, go to the NT partition and open a DOS prompt.  There, type the
following:

cd \
attrib boot.ini -s -h -r
edit boot.ini

Then add the bootsect.lnx file you copied over here.  Probably in the
form c:\bootsect.lnx = "Linux" .

Remember to save the file, and set the attributes back (attrib boot.ini
+s +h +r).

Now upon bootup you will be presented with the standard NT boot loader,
with the option of Linux.

| Network Operator                               781-939-0517 |
| Mirror Image Internet                        1-800-353-2923 |
|                                                             |
|     It is against my religion to be eaten by reptiles!      |

Post by Michael She » Thu, 09 Apr 1998 04:00:00

:
:>If you want to start over you may need to use FDISK with the MBR switch to
:>restore the master boot record.
:>
:
:Use OS/2 Boot Manager.  Either get a copy from an OS/2 Box
:or get Partition Magic which includes Boot Manager.
:
:In my humble opinion the best boot manager out there.
:

 System Commander from V-Communications is the best! ;) Once you've tried it,
you'll never settle for less!

 Mike

--
Mike Shell

1. NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

Why is everyone comparing whatever operating system with NT?

*     / - -                           /-----/ /                          *
*    /____  /   / /----/ /----/      /       /     /----/ /---/ /----/   *
*        / / / / /----/ /----/      /       /---/ /----/ /   / /----/    *
*   ___ / /_/_/ /____  /____       /_____/ /   / /____  /   /  ____/     *

---
 t MR/2 t

2. Shaper

3. HELP: wrote Lilo to Win NT MBR, can't find my NT now ...

4. mount(2v)

5. Installing Linux/Win 95/Win NT

6. Forward more than one REAL IP to remote...

7. LINUX, NT and DOS - LILO or NT boot pgm?

8. Boot problem

9. LINUX, NT and DOS - LILO or NT boot pg

10. Installing Linux+Win 95+Win NT

11. New install of Linux, Win NT and Win 98 on same machine?

12. unable to install lilo in attempt to win98 + win NT + redhat6.0 on 13.6 Gig HD

13. Win NT dumped my LILO out: how to install it back?