what does 'ld: Output file requires shared library `libc.so.4'' mean?

what does 'ld: Output file requires shared library `libc.so.4'' mean?

Post by Wig » Tue, 04 Apr 1995 04:00:00

I upgraded (downgraded?) to Slackware 1.2.2 and got the gcc 2.6.3 package
installed. However I'm having a problem linking with the debug option '-g'

when I do...

gcc -g -o t t.c -lm   (where t.c is some cheesy program)

I get...

ld: Output file requires shared library `libc.so.4'
gcc: Internal compiler error: program ld got fatal signal 6

Anybody know what file/link I am missing and how do I go about fixing this?

thanks,

- Jeff Wiegley

Post by Brian McIlwra » Wed, 05 Apr 1995 04:00:00

: I upgraded (downgraded?) to Slackware 1.2.2 and got the gcc 2.6.3 package
: installed. However I'm having a problem linking with the debug option '-g'

: when I do...

: gcc -g -o t t.c -lm   (where t.c is some cheesy program)

I have always had this (with Slackware 2.1) and the situation remains unchanged in 2.2.

The problem is that Linux cannot cope with shared libraries (the default)
with the -g option - an annoying restriction!.

Use -g -static to produce a static image to debug.

Brian McIlwrath
Rutherford Appleton Lab, Uk

1. ld: Output file requires shared library 'libc.so.4' : error

I've got a very simple x app that I'm trying to compile with gcc 2.6.3
and I get the error ld: Output file requires shared library 'libc.so.4'
when it tries to link.  I've checked and the library is there in /lib
and an ldconfig shows the libc.4.7.2 library in its list.  I even know that
the system is using this library because I tried deleting it and none of the
commands would work after that.  I was able to restore it with out to much
trouble.  So my guess is that some sort of option is needed to tell ld
to get this library and use it?

and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
--
Lance Holmes

2. Please help: printing to Linux printer from Win2K,...

3. ld: Output file requires shared library 'libc.so.4'

4. Samba on a college network

5. ``Output file requires shared library `libc.so.4' ''

6. Snd Blaster Value IDE woes

7. Slackware 2.2: "ld: Output file requires shared library `libc.so.4'

8. Total Time On-Line Script.

9. ld: Output file requires shared library `libc.so.4'...

10. ld: Output file requires shared library `libc.so.4'

11. ld: Output file requires shared library `libX11.so.3' after slack upgrade

12. ld: Output file requires shared library `libXt.so.3'

13. ld: Output file requires shared library `libX11.so.3'