HELP:TeX dumps core!!!

Post by Juan Pablo Pertier » Thu, 05 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I'm trying to find a word processor for Linux, but everytime I try to
print on any one, it requires TeX to work, and it doesn't print.  Well,
it seems that when ever I try to run Tex, latex, initex,etc, it always
gives me a segmentation fault and dumps the core into a file.  Does
anyone know what is causing this?  I have downloaded other binaries
from sunsite(teTeX) having the same results.
Please help, I need to print!
Thanks, JP

--

Juan Pablo Pertierra

HELP:TeX dumps core!!!

Post by James Youngm » Fri, 06 Dec 1996 04:00:00

says...

Quote:

>I'm trying to find a word processor for Linux, but everytime I try to
>print on any one, it requires TeX to work, and it doesn't print.  Well,
>it seems that when ever I try to run Tex, latex, initex,etc, it always
>gives me a segmentation fault and dumps the core into a file.  Does
>anyone know what is causing this?  I have downloaded other binaries
>from sunsite(teTeX) having the same results.
>Please help, I need to print!
>Thanks, JP

You may have a missing file or something wrong with the configuration.
Try using strace(8) to investigate the problem.

--
James Youngman       VG Gas Analysis Systems |The trouble with the rat-race
 Before sending advertising material, read   |is, even if you win, you're

HELP:TeX dumps core!!!

Post by Dr A.J. Marqu » Sat, 07 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I got the same problem when I forgot to set up the swap space on my machine

Do you have swap space ?
Is it 'switched' on ? Test by running 'top'.

1. TeX core dumps from emacs!

I've gotten both emacs and TeX working on my box, and have
been delighted with emacs19's handling of TeX documents.
However, whenever I kill a TeX job from emacs, with C-c C-k,
or just by restarting the job, then TeX core dumps with the
message, "Quit (core dumped)", leaving this 3 meg file.
Other than that, everything's ok. I have TeX and emacs on
a NeXT at school (same version of emacs, 19.18) and this
doesn't happen at all.

One thing I did try was to change the definition of
tex-kill-job from using quit-process, to using interrupt-process,
but then TeX wouldn't die at all!

Does anyone know what's going on? I presume that the problem
lies with either TeX or with linux (.99pl12), but I don't know.
Is it getting the wrong signal sent?

Arrrgh. Frustration!

Thanks for whatever advice you can give me,
Danek

--
Danek Duvall: Washington and Lee U.

***

2. Bogomips

3. dump core or not dump core

4. I lost my Xconfig and I shot my dog

5. core dumps core dumps everywhere...

6. File Descriptor Passing

7. Get "Segmentation fault (core dumped)" but no core file found

8. X and ATI Graphics Xpression

9. Apache problem - core dumps (httpd.core) all over the place

10. XF86_SVGA core dumped, but where is the core file?

11. why are core dumps always named "core"?

12. GDB dumps core when given core?

13. want to dump core, then run the core later.