Diamond Supra Express 56i PRO Pci modem

Post by Rui Soutelin » Sat, 12 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Did anyone successively install a Diamond Supra Express 56i PRO Pci modem?

when I try it in win98 appeared in a window on control panel a message like
"to use
this modem in DOS use the following settings .... " witch were different
from the settings on win, my question is:
if it can work in DOS, is it a Winmodem?
And by the way it has two nice Chips from Rockwell,  this means anything?
If anyone has any clue about it please post it, please.

After of setting it up in win I install it in a linux box running REDHAT 5.0
Kernel 2.0.36 in a 486 dx4, using setserial it reported the same irq and io
port that has in the previous window in the win machine, but when I use pppd
to dialup I got an input/output error.

Thanks in advance.

Diamond Supra Express 56i PRO Pci modem

Post by William Stul » Sun, 13 Jun 1999 04:00:00

It doesn't work under dos ... only with a dos program running in windows. If
you double click my computer>control panel>system then click the device
manager tab you will see your modem but above that you will see a device
called a modem enumerator. that takes your modem and steers the com/irq
settings to one that older dos programs can use. If windows isn't running
the system won't even see the modem.

Quote:> Did anyone successively install a Diamond Supra Express 56i PRO Pci modem?

> when I try it in win98 appeared in a window on control panel a message
like
> "to use
> this modem in DOS use the following settings .... " witch were different
> from the settings on win, my question is:
> if it can work in DOS, is it a Winmodem?
> And by the way it has two nice Chips from Rockwell,  this means anything?
> If anyone has any clue about it please post it, please.

> After of setting it up in win I install it in a linux box running REDHAT
5.0
> Kernel 2.0.36 in a 486 dx4, using setserial it reported the same irq and
io
> port that has in the previous window in the win machine, but when I use
pppd
> to dialup I got an input/output error.

> Thanks in advance.

Diamond Supra Express 56i PRO Pci modem

Post by Rui Soutelin » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for the info, by now Im really convinced that it's a Winmodem, but I
believe that I found the solution for the problem!

I send the "#%&%&" modem back and ordered an EXTERNAL one  :-)

>It doesn't work under dos ... only with a dos program running in windows.
If
>you double click my computer>control panel>system then click the device
>manager tab you will see your modem but above that you will see a device
>called a modem enumerator. that takes your modem and steers the com/irq
>settings to one that older dos programs can use. If windows isn't running
>the system won't even see the modem.

>> Did anyone successively install a Diamond Supra Express 56i PRO Pci
modem?

>> when I try it in win98 appeared in a window on control panel a message
>like
>> "to use
>> this modem in DOS use the following settings .... " witch were different
>> from the settings on win, my question is:
>> if it can work in DOS, is it a Winmodem?
>> And by the way it has two nice Chips from Rockwell,  this means anything?
>> If anyone has any clue about it please post it, please.

>> After of setting it up in win I install it in a linux box running REDHAT
>5.0
>> Kernel 2.0.36 in a 486 dx4, using setserial it reported the same irq and
>io
>> port that has in the previous window in the win machine, but when I use
>pppd
>> to dialup I got an input/output error.

>> Thanks in advance.

Diamond Supra Express 56i PRO Pci modem

Post by Mountain Mike^ » Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Thanks for the info, by now Im really convinced that it's a Winmodem, but
> believe that I found the solution for the problem!

I've been trying to research which modems are Win and which are not. The
confusion lies in the many recent changes made by the mfgs. Does anyone have
a list of those that are REALLY compatible with Linux? Maybe suggest a
printer or two also?

MM^^<--thinks there is a * out there.

Post by Frederick Haa » Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Did anyone successively install a Diamond Supra Express 56i PRO Pci

modem?

I have a Diamond SupraExpress 56i (not "PRO").  It is definately not a
winmodem.  It is plug-n-play, though, and is probably being given wierd
I/O addresses.

Option 1: I ended up disabling my computer's on-board serial port two so
that the modem would be assigned those values.  This only works because
my PC is plug-and-play, and the card is configured correctly on boot up.
Luckily I had a ps/2 mouse, and could live without com2.

Option 2: When I had a 486 I had to boot to DOS, use some pnp
configuration tools that would set my device (sound blaster), and then
use loadlin.exe to load my kernel and boot to linux.

Option 3: Read up on the pnp configuration tools for linux.

Good luck,
Fred

--
---
- Frederick Haab - Turner Studios -

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Diamond Supra Express 56i PRO Pci modem

Post by Bill Unr » Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I've been trying to research which modems are Win and which are not. The
>confusion lies in the many recent changes made by the mfgs. Does anyone have
>a list of those that are REALLY compatible with Linux? Maybe suggest a
>printer or two also?

If it is a PCI modem it is almost certainly a winmodem If it is not the
manufacturer will proudly state the fact on the box that the modem works
under any operating system.

If it is USB, forget it. USB support for anything is primative to
non-existant in linux.
If it is ISA, there is a reasonable probability it is useable-- if it
has jumpers on board for you to select the IRQ and port, than the
probablity goes up.
If it is an external serial cable connected modem, the chances are very
high that it is useable.

Try the site

http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/CheapBox.html#modem
and refereces therein for advice on modems.

Diamond Supra Express 56i PRO Pci modem

Post by Jeff Robinso » Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:00:00

If it's an EXTERNAL modem then it will work with linux
I dont know why anyone buy's internal modems all they do is add power drain
and heat build to your box

Post by M. Buchenried » Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>> Did anyone successively install a Diamond Supra Express 56i PRO Pci
>modem?
>I have a Diamond SupraExpress 56i (not "PRO").

[...]

Irrelevant, unfortunately. The PCI version is a winmodem.

Michael