background of afterstep

Post by Chun. H. N » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi, does anybody know how to change the background of the desktop of
afterstep WM? I want to put a jpg file as the background wallpaper but
the HOWTO  states that only xpm file format can be used as background
wallpaper. I am pretty sure there is a way to use the jpg file but not
sure either change the jpg to xpm or just someways to get around the xpm
file only constaint. Can anybody help?
Thanks!

background of afterstep

Post by Cameron Spitze » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi, does anybody know how to change the background of the desktop of
>afterstep WM? I want to put a jpg file as the background wallpaper but
>the HOWTO  states that only xpm file format can be used as background
>wallpaper.

I am pretty sure there is a way to use the jpg file but not

Quote:>sure either change the jpg to xpm or just someways to get around the xpm
>file only constaint.

xv -root -quit file.jpg

Cameron

background of afterstep

Post by Jeff Ka » Thu, 07 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi Chun.

Its real simple, just run xv and you can set it as a background image or do
this on the command line

xv -root "image.jpg"

you can also use xsetroot but then yes it needs to be a xpm so you would
have to convert it using xv, or gimp etc

cheers

Quote:> Hi, does anybody know how to change the background of the desktop of
> afterstep WM? I want to put a jpg file as the background wallpaper but
> the HOWTO  states that only xpm file format can be used as background
> wallpaper. I am pretty sure there is a way to use the jpg file but not
> sure either change the jpg to xpm or just someways to get around the xpm
> file only constaint. Can anybody help?
> Thanks!

1. Icon backgrounds in AfterStep 1.4

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know how to change the background for icons (the icons which
appear when you iconify a window) in AfterStep 1.4.  By default, they have
the same background as the default Wharf background, but when I change the
wharf, the icons stay dark grey.

Any help is appreciated,
Peter

Peter Larkowski

http://www.che.eng.ohio-state.edu/~ce_larkowski

2. modem

3. Need help xterm custom backgrounds in Afterstep

4. Help: How to use floppy drive

5. Xterm background in AfterStep

6. XFS broken

7. Backgrounds in Afterstep 1.4.5

8. Mouse doesn't work in X, LILO gives LI101010101...

9. AfterStep Backgrounds

10. AfterStep and background image

11. Afterstep Backgrounds

12. Probs with xterm and Background Read, Background Write

13. Killing csh background process **AND** any unfinished processes (fg and background) it started