query - web hosting

Post by Lui » Thu, 08 May 2003 21:59:13

I seem to be confusing myself here.  Can someone please help me see
how web hosting works?

I have my linux box with red hat 8.0 installed.  I have apache 2.0
installed.
I have a domain name registered GDesigns.com.au and i have registered
with a third party company offering dynamic dns services with a client
on the linux box which will monitor the external ip address and
informs the dns company when my ip address changes.  The domain here
is gdesigns.dynu.com

I do not understand the following.  How does this work when my domain
name registered is gdesigns.com.au and the third party dynamic dns
service domain registered is gdesigns.dynu.com?  if i type
www.gdesigns.com.au will it come up with gdesigns.dynu.com?

thanks

query - web hosting

Post by Markku Kolkk » Thu, 08 May 2003 23:17:51

> I do not understand the following.  How does this work when my domain
> name registered is gdesigns.com.au and the third party dynamic dns
> service domain registered is gdesigns.dynu.com?

You must contact the Dynamic DNS provider to use your own registered domain
instead of their domain. This usually involves paying some money. I checked
the dynu.com website and it seems that you need to subscribe to their
"premium" service which costs USD25/year.

--
        Markku Kolkka

1. query - web hosting

I seem to be confusing myself here.  Can someone please help me see
how web hosting works?

I have my linux box with red hat 8.0 installed.  I have apache 2.0
installed.
I have a domain name registered GDesigns.com.au and i have registered
with a third party company offering dynamic dns services with a client
on the linux box which will monitor the external ip address and
informs the dns company when my ip address changes.  The domain here
is gdesigns.dynu.com

I do not understand the following.  How does this work when my domain
name registered is gdesigns.com.au and the third party dynamic dns
service domain registered is gdesigns.dynu.com?  if i type
www.gdesigns.com.au will it come up with gdesigns.dynu.com?

thanks

2. wavplay 0.21 in linux

3. Can't do X -query host if host has CDE installed

4. Disk errors reported by Solaris 2.5

5. HOSTING WEB SITES.THE BEST ADMINISTERING VIA THE WEB

6. LaTeX with Emacs?

7. For Discussion: web virtual hosting vs mail virtual hosting

8. CA-Systems Manager Administrator

9. Apache Query - Pseudo Virtual Hosts ?

10. Virtual Host Query

11. query host ip adress

12. X -query <host>, why not right?

13. Query MAC address via web