Upgrading Kernel 2.0.34 to 2.2.7

Post by Alan Fri » Mon, 03 May 1999 04:00:00

I presently use redhat 5.1 with kernel 2.0.34 and I would like
to upgrade my kernel to 2.2.7.

I have just downloaded the new version but after going over
the readme files I am a little confused.

Would it be better if I upgraded using the patch method?

If I follow the directions and instead put the new kernel in
full source would I still be able to keep the settings I have
since my last recompilation.

I am not afraid to experiment but I would like to avoid the pitfall
of having to reinstall linux again because I had to to it two or
three times in the last month.

Therefore what is the most painless way to upgrade?

Thanx in advance

Alan

Post by Paul Kimo » Mon, 03 May 1999 04:00:00

> I have just downloaded the new version but after going over
> the readme files I am a little confused.

> Would it be better if I upgraded using the patch method?

No.  What would be the advantage?

Quote:> If I follow the directions and instead put the new kernel in
> full source would I still be able to keep the settings I have
> since my last recompilation.

If you mean the kernel configuration, you may (1) copy the old .config
to the new source directory, or (2) ask for the old .config file to
be reread when you run "make xconfig" or "make menuconfig".

(This assumes that you use some method that allows you to keep more
than one source tree on your system, such as the traditional one of
having directories named "linux-M.N.P" and choosing the right one
via a symlink from /usr/src/linux.)

--

Upgrading Kernel 2.0.34 to 2.2.7

Post by Bob Marti » Mon, 03 May 1999 04:00:00

Have a look at the upgrade docs at www.linuxhq.com. There is no need to
patch if you already have the 2.2.7 source, just apply future patches as
they come out. One way to keep your current coniguration is to copy your
current .config to some place for safekeeping, then install the new
source, the copy .config you saved to /usr/src/linux/.oldconfig, then
run make oldconfig. It should then only ask you for new configuration
options and preserving the onse you had.

Post by Colin Watso » Mon, 03 May 1999 04:00:00

> > If I follow the directions and instead put the new kernel in
> > full source would I still be able to keep the settings I have
> > since my last recompilation.

> If you mean the kernel configuration, you may (1) copy the old .config
> to the new source directory, or (2) ask for the old .config file to
> be reread when you run "make xconfig" or "make menuconfig".

> (This assumes that you use some method that allows you to keep more
> than one source tree on your system, such as the traditional one of
> having directories named "linux-M.N.P" and choosing the right one
> via a symlink from /usr/src/linux.)

For an upgrade from 2.0 to 2.2, you'll probably have to go through the
configuration by hand anyway; what I normally do is have make
menuconfig running on two adjacent VTs, one for the old kernel and one
for the new, which makes for fairly painless copying of settings and
allows me to easily see if anything's changed.

Colin
--
"Go not to Usenet for counsel, for they will say both
 'No' and 'Yes' and 'Try another newsgroup'." - Usenet Rule #17

1. Problem upgrading kernel from 2.0.34 to 2.0.36

Hi there folks,

Strange things going on here. I have been running two Linux boxes, one with
kernel 2.0.30, the other with kernel 2.0.34. Yesterday I decided it was time
to upgrade them to 2.0.36.

On the 2.0.30 box, the upgrade went as smoothly as you could ask for.

On the 2.0.34 box I wasn't quite so lucky. Everything seemed to go smoothly
until it came to booting the new kernel. The boot process gets as far as
'VFS mounting root (ext2 filesystem) readonly' and just sits there staring
at me.

Any ideas what's going on? I can still boot from floppy to 2.0.34 and
everything works fine.

Thanks for any advice,
Tom.

2. Is FreeBSD Linux ?

3. New kernel problem since upgrading to 2.0.34

4. A more verbose rz/sz?

5. Compiling Kernel 2.0.34 to Kernel 2.2.7

6. Disabled Graphics Engine on Trident 96xx

7. Boca v.34 & Actix GE32+ upgrade...progress report.

8. Console pause (ctrl-S) Problem...

9. Relaying fails after 2.0.27--> 2.0.34 upgrade

10. upgrade 2.0.34 to 2.0.35 failed (RH 5.1) - why?

11. Boot error after upgrade to 2.0.34

12. Upgrading RH50 from 2.0.32 -> 2.0.34