Mounting CDROM under ATAPI-SCSI emulation

Mounting CDROM under ATAPI-SCSI emulation

Post by David Wilso » Sat, 09 Sep 2000 09:58:51

Just set everything up to do SCSI emulation for cdrecord. Boot messages
indicate that the drives are there, the /dev entries are there, and
burning a CD worked perfectly. I can't mount cd's, though. When I try

mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom

I get

mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device

Support is compiled into the kernel (2.2.17) and, as I said, cdrecord
burned a cd with no problems.

The burner is Master on the secondary ide chain with a normal cdrom
drive as slave on that chain. Both show up if I do a cat /proc/scsi/scsi

What am I doing wrong?

--
-Dave Wilson

"The trick is to keep breathing..." - Garbage

Post by meh.. » Sat, 09 Sep 2000 11:14:54

> Just set everything up to do SCSI emulation for cdrecord. Boot messages
> indicate that the drives are there, the /dev entries are there, and burning a
> CD worked perfectly. I can't mount cd's, though. When I try

> mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom

> I get

> mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device

What's the output of "ls -l /dev/cdrom" and "ls -l /dev/scd0"?

On first impression, this sounds like a misconfigured or unneeded symlink
problem.

Post by David Wilso » Sat, 09 Sep 2000 11:17:49

>David

>> Just set everything up to do SCSI emulation for cdrecord. Boot messages
>> indicate that the drives are there, the /dev entries are there, and
>> burning a
>> CD worked perfectly. I can't mount cd's, though. When I try

>> mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom

>> I get

>> mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device

>What's the output of "ls -l /dev/cdrom" and "ls -l /dev/scd0"?

>On first impression, this sounds like a misconfigured or unneeded symlink
>problem

/dev/cdrom is symlinked to /dev/scd0

The error message I typed up there is incorrect (mount complains about
/dev/scd0, not /dev/cdrom). Sorry.

--
-Dave Wilson

"The trick is to keep breathing..." - Garbage

1. scsi emulation for ATAPI CDROMS

I am using scsi emulation so that I can get my (ATAPI) cd-writer to
work. I also have another cd drive that I use it on. When I go to mount
a cd for the first time it will tell me this.

  ide-scsi: The scsi wants to send us more data than expected -
discarding data
  Unable to identify CD-ROM format.

And it won't mount the first time. I have to umount and mount again to
get to my cd. Does anyone know why it does this? It works fine after it
does this, and it will only do it the first time you mount your cd, any
other time and it will mount fine.

From:      Frank Hale

ICQ:       7205161
Website:   http://www.franksstuff.com/

"100% Pure Linux"

2. Kernel 2.2.12 & .13 and AIC7xxx problems

3. Linux kernel 2.0.34 and ATAPI-SCSI emulation.

4. 2.4.20pre8aa1

5. atapi-scsi emulation with CDRW?

6. Apache DBAuth / GDBM / PHP/FI

7. Linux kernel 2.0.34 and ATAPI-SCSI emulation.

8. Data Plotting Library DISLIN for Linux Alpha

9. ide-scsi emulation and cdrom mount

10. 2.5.10(bk r1.558): oops on mount cdrom (scsi emulation)

11. mount error: mount only root can mount /dev/cdrom on cdrom